1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I came out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by kuzya3k, Mar 24, 2013.

1. kuzya3k

This was about 3 or 4 months ago.

I decided to buy a gay wristband in order to alert other possible gay people that I am gay. My mom had noticed me wearing the wristband but never paid any attention to it when one day she finally called me out on it. She told me to take it off so I bluntly told her no. She then asks me "Why? Are you gay?" I simply replied "Yes". My mom stares at me and then gets on the computer. I didn't know what to do so I posted on facebook "I will always love my mommy no matter what". 10 seconds after the message is posted my mom sees it and runs into her room crying and locks the door.

She doesn't come out for an hour but at this point shes calm and asks me a few light questions like when did it happen, do you have a boyfriend and ect. In the end she was perfectly fine with it but she told me that she called my sister to ask her opinion so I guess my sister knows too. That's killing two birds with one stone!

So now my next plan is my father but atleast I got my mom out of the way.

2. Stripe101

Congrats! That's 2 more people than me

3. The Dude

Two more people than me too. Glad your mom came around, that sounded stressful for you.

Congrats though, way to be courageous.

4. PeteNJ

Very nice story with a happy ending!

Its a great story, too, about you taking the lead to say "I love you" -- really great.

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

5. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww, that Facebook thing is so sweet. Congradulations on coming out!

6. LD579

I'd like to point out, though you may already be aware, that parents often have to go through something similar to coming out when they receive such news. They have to reconcile what they'd thought could be, and what they think of things (like LGBT things, for example) with what they now know, and it's difficult for parents, especially if they had previous prejudices or expectations or stereotypes of LGBT people.

That's likely what your mom was going through... But it's nice that things turned out fine in the end. That was very sweet of you to declare that you'd always love your mom. It must've taken lots of guts and heart, so cheers to you for having done that!

I hope things turn out well with your dad as well.