1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baby steps

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Monocle, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    So! When I first joined this forum a week or so ago, I had recently come out to some members of my family...sorta. I was drunk (not as drunk as I was pretending to be, though) and I made some rather dubious comments about Mardi Gras and strippers :lol: in the hopes that my sis would catch onto my not-so-subtle hints. It worked!

Of course, I've always dropped hints about this, tried to make it obvious without saying it. I've had a poster of a half-naked woman on my wall since I was thirteen, everyone knows how unenthused I am about boys, my Facebook is constantly flooded with LGBT rights issues... yeah. So, it wasn't unusual at all when I changed my profile pic to the red and pink equals sign for the Prop 8/DOMA business, or kept people updated on the proceedings or whatever.

BUT! This time my (gay) sister-in-law posted something and in the comments, I finally admitted it!!! I feel so awesome!!! I talked about how I struggled growing up, how I prayed "God, please, don't make me a lesbian" as a child, and I referred to LGBT people as "us" and how we have to change the world so kids don't have to go through what we went through.

I feel so relieved!!! I mean, it's a small step and I know that, but the comment was public, literally ANYONE can read it.

And a guy friend of mine texted me yesterday or the day before, he asked me out of the blue why sex was awkward for me (apparently he had a chat with his female cousin, who is also my friend...we had a little talk about how awful my sexual experiences have been LOL, and I said something to the effect of "I'm not really into dudes"). I told him that I'm probably gay.

And my uncle called last night and asked if I had a boyfriend, I said no, so he asked if I had a girlfriend and I said no. But with a boyfriend I was, like, emphatic about it and with a girlfriend I was just stating the facts.

It is getting easier and easier to say! (!) More and more people know!

#1 Monocle, Mar 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. Wolfie Charm

Yay, congrats!!! :grin:

And the poster thing made me realize a lot more know/suspect than I think! Once I was asked about what guys I find hot, and who I have on my walls. I didn’t want to answer in the restaurant/in front of parent/parent sig. other so said nothing (which was true at the time) and then my mom answered the question and said I had posters of the strong independent women type. Never really dawned on me until recently that’s been a major clue lol. I think the open hints is the best way for coming out. Again, congratulations!

3. LD579

Congrats! Sounds like quite a bit of progress on your part. =) Perhaps you'd like to celebrate like this gentleman here —> :beer: ?