1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How my ex reacted... [Venting]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jackram, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jackram

When I started coming out as transgender to people, one of the people I planned on telling was my ex-boyfriend from back when I was in denial about my gender identity.

A couple of weeks ago I casually asked him to call me Jack. He demanded to know why. "Can you just call me Jack from now on?" I asked him. "Only if you tell me why, [birth name]."

Bothered and frustrated, I bluntly told him, "Because I'm a guy, okay?".

He then raised his voice, attracting the attention of everyone at the table.

"So you've been lying to everyone then?"
    "Huh?"
    "Well you say you're a boy. Are you really a boy?"
    "Well yeah, I'm a guy."
    "So you've been lying to us the whole time."
    "No."
    "So you're not a boy?"
    "No, I am a boy."
    "So you've been lying to everyone?"
    "No, I haven't."
    "*sigh* Well, were you born with male parts or female parts?"
    "Since when is it okay to ask someone about their genitalia?"
    "Just answer the question, [birth name]."
    "....I was born with what society would call female, but I'm a guy."
    "No you're not, you're a girl."
    "Actually, I'm a guy."
    "That's impossible."

From there I ended up running out of the lunchroom and having a panic attack.

That night we texted. Our messages consisted of him telling me I'm making it up and that it's impossible to be trans*, and me trying to explain to him that gender =/= sex. However I put it, he denied it. "If you were born with female parts, you're a girl. If you were born with male parts, you're a boy." he messaged me. I got so frustrated trying to explain that gender is a spectrum, not a binary. He ended the conversation by telling me that I should ask my Bible teacher about it and see what they say.

From that point on, I've cut him out of my life. Everyone at the lunch table (who is completely supportive and calls me by my preferred name) will not let him sit with us anymore, and he's taking the hint that I won't put up with his ignorance.

...blegh. I just needed to get all of that out.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats on coming out!

I'm sorry to hear about your ex's reaction. There are just some people in this world that no matter how much you explain things to them, they'll just never get it. The best thing that you can do is just cut him out of your life. It's sucks, but in the end you have to remember that it is his fault because he is not willing to listen and learn.

3. The Dude

Hey Jack. No one said it'd be easy right? At least you know who your friends are. I'm glad the rest of them stayed on your side and kicked that guy out of the group. Sounds like a huge waste of time, totally not worth it.

Congrats on having the courage to come out though! Way to be brave