1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Experience coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by caitlin, Mar 29, 2013.

1. caitlin

caitlin Guest

My experience coming out has been pretty interesting but overall pretty positive. I had some close friends that had known for years but never really told my parents/family. I told my dad and he was really supportive of me which I was extremely appreciative of, but his side of the family is still unaware. I just came out to my mom yesterday and she is extremely conservative/religious. I was expecting a fighting match, but she actually was supportive, and said she didn't really understand it but loved me the same. The only thing that really bothered me was that she said it was "my choice how I lived my life," speaking on how being a lesbian was some sort of choice I had made...which it isn't, it took me a really long time to accept myself as being who I am, and it certainly isn't something I chose to be. The other thing I'm nervous about, is right now I am in college living with my mom and her boyfriend and her boyfriend has vocally expressed how being gay is weird blah blah etc. He is REALLY conservative/religious and honestly, I just find him to be an ignorant prick. :dry: My mom says it's my choice whether or not to tell him and honestly I don't want to because I don't want to feel uncomfortable in my own home, yet I feel like I can't really be myself and live my life if I'm hiding this huge secret and then that irritates me. Also I don't know if any one else is struggling with whether or not to come out to co-workers. Like for example, one of co-workers has asked me out on a date, and I don't even know how to respond, like I feel like I should be upfront, but then I'm like it's really none of his business etc. Any advice is appreciated...Thanks!