1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Stressful

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by nickmc, Mar 29, 2008.

1. nickmc

So I came out to my best friend! I've had him over with the intention of telling him twice within the past week but jst didn't have the guts to do it in person (even tho i wanted to). So i think i got him worried and he started guessing what was wrong so i ended up telling him via txt.

Do they get any less stressful! omg it took me about 10 minutes to work up enough courage to press the 'SEND' button on my phone & then i was almost hyperventalating waiting for him to reply! (he was really supportive though so that was SUCH a relief).

I can't say that I feel any high though. Just relief that he said he didn't have a problem with it and it wouldn't change anything between us (i'm still worried it will, but i'll jst have to wait and see).

so YAY! I'm out to one person! (!)

2. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

hey well done with finding the courage.... something im still trying to do... but yer thats reli good!!!!!!
    hope u feel less stressed now :grin:

3. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done!

I remember coming out to my best friend the same way, although stupidly did it at night so was hyperventilating for hours. Glad he was so supportive

4. nickmc

Hahaha. He stayed over last night (in the spare room) so didn't get that much sleep trying to pysch myself into telling him face-to-face, what I would say etc.

... yea never happened clearly....:dry: but I've told him now. Now I'm just nervous about whether he'll bring it up next time I see him face-to-face...

5. nickmc

But thanks. Yea I'm super glad both our best friends were so supportive :icon_bigg

6. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just re-read my post, it seems I'm selfishly talking about my friend being supportive, I'm not, I was talking about yours

I remember being very nervous about seeing my friend face to face, and the fact that when I next saw him was with a group of people who didn't know didn't help. He only really brought it up when I forced him too, I hope it goes more smoothly for you

7. biisme

That's great! The first step is the hardest.

8. Tim

Tim

First step is always the hardest :slight_smile: So congratulations/well done, and just remember, go at your own pace, never feel pressured =D

9. JSG

JSG Guest

Congrats !!
    Coming out is always stressful at first, it'll be like that maybe the 3 or 4 next times you come out (esp your parents) then it gets more and more natural.

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratz!!
    And I know what you mean by stressful, in my last coming out, I spent ages just staring at the screen on the phone before clicking 'send' and my heart was thumping like crazy!!
    Glad he's supportive. :grin:

11. Byte

Congratulations!(!) (!) (!)
    That is so awesome that he supports you!
    I'm so happy that it worked out for you. (*hug*)

12. crichton47

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats, well done. :icon_bigg

I love (and miss) Wellington! There are some great people there.

13. Nodnarb

Congrats!!!

14. Paralyzer

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I came out to my best friend via Yahoo and it was so surreal when all I had to do was press 'enter' or 'send'.. time felt like it actually had weight and it kept getting heavier.. but I cornered myself in on purpose so I knew I had to tell him.
    I can't say he was supportive...... but.. he wasn't unsupportive. He's supportive now though.

Goodjob :slight_smile:
    Also, I didn't feel a 'high' either.. XD itisonly1personafterall:frowning2:

15. pwnorton

Congratulations!

I first came out to my friend on AIM. The second on Facebook (in a PM, not his wall). The third was a teacher over email. And the fourth was over AIM again. Each time I told someone, it was really difficult to just hit the "Enter" button to send what I wanted to say. I knew that I had to do it, but just couldn't get myself to. But I did persuade myself to.

I didn't feel a "high." I felt really relieved, but then started feeling kinda depressed, and 3 weeks later, still kinda do, but not anything major.

But still....good job on #1!

16. Zoe7022

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to a close friend over IRC. I threw out a few hints, such as "*Z is ticked off because Apple doesn't support her G3*" in the main chat (Im transexual, but for a while there I left gender blank). He figured it out, and had to lie down for a moment, but he was okay.
    The second one was to another friend, this time I had a second account as a "sock-puppet". After he accepted the sock puppet, I told him the truth. Both times gave me a bit of a nervous sensation. That same friend came out to me thirty minutes later.

17. nickmc

hey thanks everyone for the support.

I've seen my best friend since and I really am lucky to have him. He's so supportive and it's so much easier talking around him now coz i don't have to worry about what i can and cannot say.

Am really unsure as to what to do next tho. some of my other friends have noticed that I've been quieter recently (pretty much ever since i admitted to myself that i am gay) and have been sending me texts saying they are worried about me. in some ways i want to come out to them but one really likes me (and has for years now even tho iv made it clear to her that im not interested) and the other i dont know THAT well. i THINK they'll be supportive but one i know through my anglican Church (so that could be an issue there). i just find it harder to lie (about why iv been quiet) now that iv admitted to myself that i am gay.

anyone have any ideas? been in a similar situation?

18. pwnorton

I don't think you should tell them unless you feel very comfortable with it. I was kinda in a similar situation, where I wanted to tell someone, but didn't know how they would react. For some reason, I hang out in the front office at my school. And one of the ladies working there (with whom I'm friends) sensed something was wrong, and asked me what was up. I told her I didn't want to talk about it (wrong answer) and then the guessing game started! I really wanted to tell her. I mean, I know she would be very supportive, but I just don't want the front office to know, cuz one person there is all into gossip. Luckily a student came in before the game went too far!

But to nickmc, just wait until the right moment, or if it is just killing you inside!

19. Jim1454

Yay! That is SO great! Congrats!

20. nickmc

Update:

Still haven't come out to either of the two friends above BUT I have come out to another friend. I had talked to her about my sexuality when I was unsure so she wasn't in the least suprised and even gave me the name of another of her friends that is gay and Christian like me.... (not sure I'll have enough confidence to actually go see him though)

So yay! Two people know! (!)