1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

..I actually did it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Oddish, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I FINALLY, and finally.. came out to my dad about being trans*. He took it kind of better than I expected, and was somewhat supporting. But I feel funny about the whole thing.
    I'll elaborate here..

So, my dad picked me up earlier on today so we could run over to Target, and on the way there i ask, “Hey dad, do you have any work coming up in (location here), because there’s a specialized therapist I need to talk to about my stuff." And he goes, "What stuff? But yes, I am, just be honest and tell me what." "I don’t want to say it." "Chany, I don’t care what just tell me." "…I want to go for transgendered issues." "Like from being a woman, turning into a man?" "Kind of, yeah."

And it was really awkward, I mean, he wasn’t mad at all but.. he was almost, somewhat supportive but he said some things that made me feel bad which I'll refrain from mentioning. He mostly asked me about T, and surgeries, but he was somewhat odd about it, and talking about it made me feel really bad. I thought coming out was supposed to make you feel better.

But even though he acted A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN I THOUGHT, I MEAN, I’M HAPPY ABOUT THAT… he was just, egh. Well, it wasn’t him being necessarily mean or anything, I just felt strange coming out… and he still acknowledges me as a girl, and calls me "honey, sweetie" and refers to me as his daughter, and uses she/her pronouns but I can’t just tell him for some reason to call me the right ones and acknowledge me as his son, even though I did come out…

I don’t really know how to feel about this. I'm still really kind of depressed about it. Though I should be happy, but I feel funny.

(And to everyone who sent me good wishes not too long ago, thank you for that. I had it in my mind while I abruptly left the closet.)

2. Wolfie Charm

He might still be processing…

3. The Dude

Hey man, congrats on coming out!

Regardless of his reaction, you can now get the ball rolling hopefully...it seems like this was a necessary step, so good job so far. I hope he becomes a little more supportive, although he doesn't sound too upset or anything. Good luck to you though, and way to take a courageous step.

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Well, obviously. It's a lot to take in, but he'll probably be a lot more open/accepting about it later.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2013 at 04:01 PM ----------

Haha, thanks man.

I was kind of put on the spot, so I had to say it. Thanks :slight_smile:

5. Just Jess

Huge congrats dude!

People will surprise you with their reactions. Don't let it get you down. Gender is just a huge part of what other people see in you and it takes a long time for people to see you differently from what they are used to. Or to imagine you differently.

6. Niko

Hey man, congrats on coming out! That's a big step to take and you did it!
    I think whatever happened with your dad was a step in the right direction. As long as he didn't lash you out, then it shouldn't be a bad thing, no?

I can relate though, after coming out my parents have done nothing to try and help alleviate what's going on in my head. They still call me a girl, their daughter, she this, she that. It's quite annoying. It feels almost like I never came out to them in the first place, but at times the subject does come out...which hurts even more. Because I know that they know, but they have no desire to truly learn about it.

But I'm happy for you :slight_smile: that's one less person to tell~

7. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    One step at a time and just telling him was a BIG step, congrats man! :slight_smile: