1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Down

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by The Dude, Apr 3, 2013.

1. The Dude

The Dude is on a role.

Tonight I was playing Xbox with two of my friends. One friend I already told (in a thread made the other day) and the other didn't know. For years I've been on the butt end of a gay joke with my friends. I would "joke" about being gay and everybody would reference it. For the past four months or so I've been amping it up, basically me screaming to them that I'm gay.

Tonight, after a joke was made, my one friend straight up confronted me about it. Knowing I had the full support of my other friend who knows there, I said "I think I'm gay, but I'm struggling with accepting it." He was cool with it, and we joke about that and other things for an hour longer, while playing NHL 13. It was chill.

Some people on EC have said to not come out until you've accepted it yourself, but I feel like honesty with my friends is the best route. I want them to know, and I haven't said anything definite, so I'm not digging a hole some people worry about. I really like this approach, but then again I guess a lot of people are sure when they come out.

Last time when I came out to one friend, I didn't feel different. I appreciated his response, but I still didn't feel better about myself. This time, I actually feel good about it. Knowing both of them accept it and can joke it off and just be normal is awesome. Having people ask me questions about it (who I like, etc) sort of confirms the feelings I have that I have been doubting. Definitely a cool feeling.

At this rate, I might have two more friends and a brother told by the end of the weekend. Maybe next week I'll make another post with those consolidated so I'm not crapping these threads out constantly.

I definitely owe a lot to EC, so thanks for that.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on your 2nd friend, it's nice to hear of positive experiences rather than bad ones, even though the latter one is the one we all fear, I didn't have EC the 1st time I came out to someone, unfortunately I had not come across it at that stage, I may have been stronger & the self doubt may have not crept in, but luckily for me, I found it, when I finally came out to myself in February, we are all here to support each other & that is what I love about EC (*hug*)

3. The Dude

Thanks Dublin Boy, I appreciate it. EC definitely helps avoid the self doubt, but it still creeps in unfortunately.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! Both on coming out, and also having great friends.

As for self doubt, I guess I've had a few moments. Right now, I'm thinking I'm gay, but a part of me wonders if there is a slight chance of bisexual. But here is the thing I'm thinking for myself (and it may help you): I am not signing a lifetime Gay Contract. This is the best answer I have today. Point #2: in my case, no matter what happens, it seems 99.999% certain that I am if nothing else "not straight." There is more than a 20 year history of interest in guys, and I don't see that going away any time soon.

5. PeteNJ

Great! You should be proud of standing up for who you are -- even if you're working on accepting what your sexuality is. You've strengthened your bonds with your buddies, too, and that's awesome.:thumbsup: