1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Maffew, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Maffew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wanted to tell my parents in a special way, but I'm so glad i got it out the way. I ended up just texting my mum and telling her everything. She took it really well, which is great, however now that I've told her, I feel really... upset. As soon as i clicked send i started crying, I cried when I got the reply and whenever i think about it, I feel depressed and cry even more.
    I'm currently on holiday, a few thousand miles away from home with a friend, but, i had to let her know.

I'm just wondering, through past experience. Why am I so upset? I've told them, shouldn't i be happy?

2. Femmeme

Congratulations!

Have you maybe been bottling up your emotions about being gay and coming out? It could just be a release of all those things you wouldn't let yourself feel. Or maybe it just made everything more real? Being gay can be scary and really hard in a lot of ways and I think we have to accept that, and maybe mourn a little for that easy straight life we don't get. I think we have to get through that before we get to the pride thing. (*hug*)

3. JPC

JPC Guest

Congrats!

Your reaction is perfectly normal. I told my mother a few months ago while I was a few thousand miles away too (In fact I still am, I haven't seen her since I came out). After I came out, I felt worst. I wasn't crying, but it felt so weird and not good at all. It's really hard to describe, I felt kind of empty and sick and had butterfiles all at the same time and it lasted for a few days. But again, it's perfectly normal to not be doing a happy dance just yet. Coming out can be a fairly draining thing and can leave you feeling odd for a little while. But it will get better and the happiness bit should come soon! :slight_smile:

4. Emberblaze

My reaction's kinda the opposite. Like, my mom was accepting and it went okay and all, but everytime I think back on it, I get really MAD. I don't know why, but it makes me wanna throw up. I dunno, sometimes I feel patronized when my mom talks about the gay thing

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations, you are so brave, I am yet to come out to any of my family, I know when I 1st came out to some friends, it felt good at the time & then regret creeped in, I started to doubt myself & wished I was back in the Closet.

My problem though was that even though I had came out to my friends as being Gay, I had not yet come out to myself, now that I have come out to myself I am much happier :slight_smile:

6. Maffew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the support guys! XOXOXOXOX

7. LD579

Maybe you kind of wish you were closer to her (geographically speaking)? Alternatively, as others have said, it may just be a release of pent up emotions. Coming out to family members can be very nerve-wracking, and now that things have turned out fine, it's almost as if those emotions were for nothing (except they were, but it can feel like they weren't). Maybe in that light, the emotions were released, anyways.

Really, there's no clear answer as to why you felt upset after you came out. Maybe it doesn't even really matter now, actually.

Regardless, congratulations on coming out! It's great that your mom took it well. If you ever feel depressed at the thought of it, or anything, it might help to continually, consciously remind yourself that your mom loves you, and that things are perfectly fine =)

8. ilayis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    congrats-everyone above has already said it better than i could.i believe you will feel better.(*hug*)

9. Maffew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This has been such a help. thank you so much!

10. MixedNutz

I think this is a common reaction. You don't fully know how much you keep bottled up inside because of not being out. When you finally tell someone like your mom, it's a release.

Congrats on coming out. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

11. Rexmond

It's not uncommon to still feel slightly upset after coming up, Luthan has summed that up well. Congratulations though, and I'm glad it went well for you!

12. asmith6543

do you think that you wanted to cry b/c of the shock of being "exposed"? Even though it was your just your mom and she took it positively. any ways congrats!

13. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Congratulation!!! That's very normal. I felt the same way when I came out to the first person I came out to.

14. hkboy93

Isn't there a sterotype that we are all on emotional rollercoasters?
    congrats btw :slight_smile:

15. Maffew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm really unsure! At least 20 people already know, and i havent felt like this with anyone else, I'm guessing it could just be the fact I'm so close to my mum! Thank yoy for the quesrion though, it has made me think!

16. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    That happened to me as well. Minus the crying part. After I told my cousin, I always wished to be back in the closet as well. I guess I was actually getting comfortable in there... It's getting better though, and I'm sure it'll get better for you too! :slight_smile:

You probably had this feeling only with your mum because you had to live a big lie to her, and you're close, as you said yourself.

#16 DannyBoi66, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  17. PeteNJ

Congratulations on coming out!

And for being open about your feelings, exploring where you're at. I think its pretty normal -- to feel relief and then to realize -- ahead of you is the rest of your life as an out gay man.

Its your life, now you own it, now you're responsible for your happiness. GO FOR IT!