1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to several people...sort of

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BMC77, Apr 12, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesterday, I went to a Top Secret Event. Well, actually it wasn't Top Secret, but I decided I'd better treat it that way in this post. If I name it, there is a remote chance that it could lead to a break in the no contact rule here. We wouldn't want me banned a month now, would we? Imagine a month without one of my posts.

Now a pause to let everyone say, "We'd hate not being able to read one of your insightful posts for a whole month!" But the only sound in the whole forum is the sound of crickets chirping.

Ahem. Without going into details, I will say that the Top Secret Event was directly tied to the LGBT community. Thus, most--if not all--people in attendance can be presumed to be gay friendly. So I attended the event with the full intention of being honest in real life about my sexual orientation. This was made insanely easy, particularly given the fact that (as it turned out) I was able to directly connect my coming out process with part of event. I could not have honestly planned it better even if I'd tried.

Anyway, bottom line: there are now several people in my community who know I'm almost certainly gay.

I won't claim any great bravery here. As anticipated, this event was gay friendly, and attended by people whom I don't know. But it's another step in right direction, and a bigger step than when I changed to a marriage equality profile picture on Facebook.

In fact, it was an incredibly liberating feeling actually being honest for two hours in real life. I am looking forward to a day when I can do that 24/7.

2. lull23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some may argue that going to an event of that size is far braver than coming out to a single person. I say well done!

3. Dalmatian

I'd say that's plenty brave :slight_smile: When I went to a gay bar for the first time, I was feeling almost sick from all the stress, although I was certain there would only be gay friendly people there and that nobody could possibly know me (it was in a different country). So, congrats on the bravery, you are making giant strides, at least in my opinion.