1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by hkboy93, Apr 26, 2013.

1. hkboy93

I'm officially out to my brother. I actually drunk came out to him on skype a few months ago but since I was drunk and it was really late I thought he didn't take me seriously. Last night I came out in person and I cried and got so emotional when I was explaining everything of what I've been going through and re-assured him I'm still essentially the same person, just that now he knows more of me. And also the importance of not telling our parents (we're originally from Hong Kong but we have Canadian citizenship and going to University here while our parents live in Hong Kong). He told me he actually believed me when I told him on skype last time, but he claimed he chose not to bring it up and "ignore" it since I wasn't talking about it... Which was part of the reason why since that skype convo I was still trying to "act" straight and put on a show. But I have been dropping hints these few weeks when I kept sending him news articles of the countries that legalized gay marriage.

He's been overall supportive about it, he did say he was still uncomfortable about gays, I'm just hoping that now he truly knows I'm gay that I'm still the same older brother as I was to him (he's 18) and that nothing has and will change between us so he will eventually perhaps be more comfortable about it.

I've never cried like that in front of my brother before and also made him legit hug me for hearing me out on this and thanking him for my support...I've never hugged him like that before and actually said thank you in a meaningful way.

2. PeteNJ

Proud of you for being open, honest, and so vulnerable with your brother. Its a great moment in terms of the relationship between the two of you. And for the res of your life -- congratulations -- your'e on a journey to having a great life!:thumbsup:

Give your brother a chance to process. Give him a chance to see you are happy as a gay man. And that he still has a place in your life even as you're gay. I would think he'll be just fine.

3. The Dude

Congrats on coming out! For someone who is not completely comfortable with homosexuality, he took it well...I'm sure he'll come all the way around eventually. At least he said nothing will change.

Very jealous of you...I'm working on my (older) brothers now. Hopefully I have as much luck!

4. MixedNutz

That's great. Hopefully this brings you both closer