1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out online

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by PeteNJ, May 2, 2013.

1. PeteNJ

Good Morning All --

I'm active in local issues, politics, etc. And so I'm also active on a very popular local online forum. On that forum I have 2 screen names -- one, which everyone knows is the real life me and I am identified, and another (since I am so well known), for more personal issues.

Well, I came out under the more personal screen name the other day. I got many many "mazel tovs" and "so happy for you" -- it's sweet.... actually makes me want to do so under my name, too!

My post is below... context, has to do with a thread I started about my alcoholic familiy/relationships (which my ex wife and ex GF were/are).

Pete

"When you're a co dependent, enabler, people pleaser - life revolves around the people in your life and doing everything to fix the alcoholic(s) and make things seem normal in the family. In that process there's a lot of self-denial - about your own needs, interests, wants, desires. None of that stuff matters - getting the alcoholic(s) and the family to be "ok" is the only priority. I was quite good at it

I came to the realization that there was a lot of emptiness. That I was looking for approval maybe more than love. And that a lot of the things I did, to be such an uber co dependent, kept me from looking at what I really need to be happy. For me that included accepting that "I'm gay." As well as finding that there's a lot more in the depths of the closet that has been waiting to come out - changes in career, home, parenting. It's all good, finally. Not that I know the journey exactly - hey, pass the popcorn, I want to see how this all turns out, too

(I'm not an alcoholic -- I'm a member of Al-anon, which is for family/friends of alcoholics/addicts)"

2. Exoskeleton