1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by somegirl, May 3, 2013.

1. somegirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ok so basically, for those of you who don't know.. Today I decided I was ready to come out to a close friend. This would have been the second person that knew. We met up at school, I was so scared, and she got onto the idea I was really nervous. She kept saying, come on, just tell me I'll be here for you no matter what etc, and I finally built up the courage and was about to start saying it, but we got told off by a teacher for being late to lessons. :bang: So we went off, and she said text it to me. I said it's not something I should text you about. I should really say it in person. And she said, but if you're going to be this scared next time, surely it's just better to text it to me, and we can then talk about it later. So I thought maybe this is true. I know it's not very good to come out over a text, but I really didn't think I could physically say it. (I'm a very shy person. I keep my problems to myself etc). So I text her, and yeah have a go at me whatever, but I was brave enough to send it, hey? It's better than keeping it in forever. At lunch she rang me and said "I won't ever leave you. I don't care who you like (not in a mean way, just saying it didn't bother her). You can ring me or text me or whatever you want if you ever need a chat." I then had to go, but yeah it was great. She accepts me(!)(!)(!) I know text is the worst way to do it. But it was either that or her worry it was something really bad, or whatever. And it was the only way I could do it. But we talked for a while about it after school, and I feel so comfortable talking about it now:icon_bigg:icon_bigg
    Thank you everyone for the advice:icon_bigg

2. Devious Kitty

I'm not sure that there is ever really any one "right" way to come out. Text can be viewed as better or worse in different ways. For example you may have much more time to decide what exactly to say and be more concise, but you won't get to see how exactly she reacts.

Regardless, I'm glad it went well. :slight_smile:

3. SomeNights

Congratulations!

4. RainbowMan

I'm glad it went well, and I'm with Devious Kitty that there is no one "right" way to do it. Different methods of coming out work for different people, for you it was a text.

For me, it depends on the person. For some, it's quite casual. For others (my parents), it was a big long letter that one could mistake for a Master's thesis (OK, not that long, but you get the point). I need to do it on Facebook and my blog at some point, and I have something in draft form for that, too.

I'm seriously thinking about doing it with a really close friend who I haven't seen in awhile via text.

5. JessRae

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Cheers to that! I'm happy for you! :grin:

6. The Dude

This is a cool story, congratulations.

I find that a lot of people who say coming out via text is a bad idea tend to be older. I take it you're in your teens and if not still pretty young? Regardless, texting for younger people is what's normal today. I came out to a few friends via text...just what I was comforable with, its how we communicate daily. So come out however you want.

Still though congrats, and hang onto that friend. She sounds pretty awesome