1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ashley, May 4, 2013.

1. Ashley

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I was kind of forced to come out. My mother was having one of her rants about how "wrong" homosexuality is and I said that I support equal rights for everyone. She asked me if I was gay again and I denied it like always. But then my sister blurted out that I was, and that someone from my school, whom I don't even talk to, told her.

My mom said that she still loves me, and of course she kept talking about how I might just be confused because I'm "too young". Apparently she's had a feeling for a while and has even talked to my sisters about it before. She also told me not to tell my dad because he's homophobic, which I already knew. I said that I think I disappointed her and she said I didn't but I can tell that she looks at me differently now. Also, she told me never to get married because it's wrong, which offended me. Well that, and her saying that it was the worst day of her life.

Still, though. I can't help but think that I'm a huge disappointment now. And I believe it was a bit wrong foe my sister to out me like that, especially because she knows how my mom feels about the LGBTQ community..

2. Renge

I know how you feel (*hug*) :frowning2:

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What your mom said to you was extremely hurtful and unethical. It's never okay to say those things to your child. Your sister also behaved very unethically, by putting you in a particularly unsafe situation.

I'm very sorry that happened to you. You have to be who you are and not worry about whether you're a disappointment to your mother or not. If you are ethically right and a productive member of society, that should be enough for your mother.