1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A MAJOR Development!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Samwise, May 5, 2013.

1. Samwise

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi everyone!

Last Spring I admitted to myself that I was, indeed, a gay man.

Last Fall I mustered up the courage to start exploring the idea of how one might come out of the closet. I started watching You Tube vidoes, drafted hypothetical coming out letters and joined Empty Closets!

Last Winter I began intentionally being more loose with my actions and my vernacular- doing things like telling friends, "I've got to tell you something sometime...!" and then laughing afterward, or promising myself that if anyone asked if I was gay I would absolutely not say no ever again and finally just say yes.

2 nights ago, my life changed forever and I can barely grasp it.

I formally came out as a gay man to 10 of my best (straight male) friends in a hot tub in a mansion during one of my best buddy's bachelor party (!) hahaha! It was totally unexpected, but it was just as if there was a magical pause in time with everyone having such a great time and bonding so much at that exact point in time that it was literally like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me to do it if I was ever going to do it! For gosh sakes, before hand we started something called "the circle of trust" and were passing a football around which we used as a sort of "talking stick" for taking turns getting things off our chests or admitting things or anything to each other. Is there possibly a more perfect or comfortable time to come out than that?

It is true that we were all very drunk, and I've read a lot of advice stating that coming out while under any kind of influence is a bad idea, but for me it just wasn't an issue and was a comfortable way for me to come out which I think I needed. I couldn't get over the anxiety of doing it, but obviously when you've had a few drinks, your inhibitions are subsided a bit and opening up becomes much easier. They don't call it liquid courage for nothing, right?

Anyway, we were all 10 of us in the hot tub after a long night of partying together in the mansion on a remote northwoods lake and we had just formed, as I explained, the "Men's Circle of Trust". Suddenly the idea of coming out popped into my head as I pondered things I might want to say if and when it was my turnand I knew I had to do it right then and there. Suddenly, while the guys were chatting, I pulled my best friend- who was sitting right next to me in the tub- over to me and told him that I wanted to tell him something between the two of us first. I kind of did the silly guessing game thing with him first for about 10 seconds and then I just told him that I wanted to come out of the closet! He looked completely shocked when I told him and was thrown way off guard- to the point where he didn't know what to say. I thought it was actually pretty hilarious knowing the guy, so I actually enjoyed that part. I asked him if he knew and he told me he had no idea and had only considered it a couple times. I then told him that I wanted to tell the rest of the circle of friends right now. He told me that maybe I should wait, but I told him that I wanted to tell everyone right now. (again, this was the liquor working:grin:) He said, "Alright!" and he and I together called for the football to be passed to me. I caught the "speaking football", my buddy grabbed my hand, and basically told the guys that I really consider all of them awesome friends and that I've wanted to tell them something about myself for a really long time but I had been really afraid to. Then some how I found it in me to say "I want to come out of the closet as a gay man." Those were my exact words. Everyone got the deer in the headlights look for about 2 seconds and then everyone began congratulating me, hugging me and pelting me with questions.

Want to know something else hilarious? We were all buck-arse-naked:roflmao: !

So long story short, I got a bunch of questions and the weekend went on pretty much as if nothing ever happened. Everyone was supportive and nice as I knew they would be which was great too. It was a little awkward the following morning because I couldn't believe that I had done what I had done, but the sense of relief of having it over with was wayyyy worth dealing with that awkwardness and much more worth it than putting it off for some indefinite time. It was done! For better or for worse! Where I would have the chance to do it sober? Who knows when I would get an opportunity like that? So yes, I came out under the influence of alchohol which is not ideal, but like I said it worked for me and was well worth it. Now, am I recommending it? Not exactly, but I do recommend doing it in a way that gets it done as soon as possible, and for me that was it. The rest of the weekend I would just chat with a few of the guys every now and then and answer their questions and ask them some questions as well. They would ask me things like, "How long have you known?" or, "Have you ever had relations with a dude?" or say things like, "Wow you are my first gay friend and you're normal!" "It's really changing my perception of the issue!" Those were awesome things to hear and see actively unfolding and I felt great to be able to bring that message to 10 brand new people. 10 great guys now can attest to the fact that they have a gay dude as a friend and he's normal and nice and funny like any other person would be.

So after 1 year from start to finish...

I finally came out of the closet as a 24 year old gay man in the wee hours of May 3.

In a hot tub full of naked straight dudes.

With a blow doll floating around.

Where do I go from here? Who knows! But I am honest and free and my conscience is totally clean for the first time in my life. This website has been a part of that freedom and I am thankful for it and for all of you brave people.

Cheers!

Samwise

2. jazzhands

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HUGE step! Nicely done. I love the stories that end with a thumbs-up from friends. Naked ones, even better.

3. Wow I'm so happy for you, its a huge achievement and what a place to tell them, with a blow doll as well, as for where your life goes, it goes where the wind takes you, where you as a human being desires where it goes. Get a partner have a life and enjoy yourself.

4. PeteNJ

Samwise -- absolutely f*cking awesome! What a great feeling. Hugs and a big congratulations!! :thumbsup:

5. 143kc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I couldn't stop laughing......haha!, well done! :slight_smile:

6. June Cleaver

Wonderfull!!! I loved the moment you chose! A hot tub with 10 nude men and a female blow-up doll, I have quite a imagination and could almost see them those first 2 seconds in silence with the doll floating by! LOL I laughed myself out of my chair..... June

7. Femmeme

This is my new favorite coming out story.

8. Thewitt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations, I think you have gotten off to a pretty awesome start. It can only get better from here.

9. RainbowMan

First, I'd like to say congrats! That took some real balls to do.

Secondly, I'd like to talk about the whole "coming out under the influence is a bad idea" - who ever said that? If that's what works for you and makes it easier, that's probably OK and healthy. My last coming out (this last weekend) was done slightly under the influence, but by no means plastered. It was to friends that I normally drink with.

I will, however, state that their are dangers, particularly if you are unsure of the reactions of the people that you're coming out to. You need to make sure that you have an exit strategy (that doesn't involve DUI). Also, if you're coming out and completely plastered, people might think that you're too plastered to know what you're talking about, and not take it seriously.

Those are the two biggest dangers that I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of.

In short, I guess what I'm trying to say is "a little bit, probably OK. Excessive amounts, probably not OK" :slight_smile:

10. ilovebears

This is so rad. Your friends are keepers.

11. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations!!! I'm glad it went so well, and that you're feeling so relieved.

And the choice of venue was amazing! lol Naked straight dudes, hot tub, blowup doll. Hahahaha This is an amazing story. :grin:

12. Candace

This is amazing to hear. Congrats to you :slight_smile:

13. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

(!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

14. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My insta-boner with 10 bare-ass naked guys all around would already be a coming out story if I were you.

Anyway, congrats man! Why do I feel compelled to think of something similarly crazy to come out the second time :rolle:

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's actually hilarious, the naked straight men with a blow up doll, lolz.

16. Dufflepud

That story is the most incredible thing I've ever read xD.

17. incorrect

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    :roflmao: epic

18. Wardrobe93

Great story! hillarious and comforting!

19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Dude :thumbsup: that's got to be the best coming out story so far Lol
    wish it was me :roflmao: you have great friends :badgrin: (*hug*)

20. MixedNutz

This story was great. ESP the part about 10 naked guys in a hot tub. Hahaha

Congrats man!!