1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GeorgieBoy, May 6, 2013.

1. GeorgieBoy

Hey guys, I only joined EC yesterday, but I made a post asking for some advice and everyone was really helpful and welcoming, so I wanted to share some stuff that I hope might even be able to help others when faced with the difficulties of finally coming out. :icon_bigg But anyway, I'm going to start rambling again.

So across the weekend, like I talked about in my last post, I decided that I wanted to tell the person I like about me being gay and maybe even tell him that I have feelings for him depending on his reaction to the first. But I didn't mention that, before I did that, I wanted to come out to a couple of other people first like my best friend. This was difficult at first. My best friend is the nicest guy I've met and is always there for me, but I wasn't sure how exactly to tell him my problem. I emailed him saying I needed to talk to someone and that I wanted to meet him. What was most difficult was finding a way to meet him on his own for a serious chat without panicking him. I could tell he was worried about me, so i went round straight away to talk. This was the first time I had ever talked to ANYONE about this, so obviously I was a little nervous. I wasn't expecting him to dislike me once he knew, but I was worried it might affect our close friendship.

So I went to his house and it was pretty obvious he was concerned about me. I asked him if he knew where I was going with this, but he was clueless. So I told him and his response was: "Is that it?". I nodded, he sighed with relief and gave me a huge hug. He explained he was worried it was something worse, and that it really doesn't matter. We talked for nearly three hours, and I told him about my crush and everything. Later that night, we both met with our friends and it was clear NOTHING had changed at all. If anything, it's brought us closer as friends. It's great to FINALLY have someone to talk to about everything, and I'm so happy I told him. Surprisingly, he also told me he was really glad I told him, so everything worked out well. I don't known if my other friends will be as comfortable and welcoming when I come out to them, so I'm going to give it some time and just keep checking in with my best friend for now.

So not only did coming out to my best friend end up being easier than I thought, it's actually really helped me and boosted my confidence so much just by having someone to talk to for a few hours. If you haven't come out to your best friend yet, the only advice I've really learned here is: try not to scare them. My fiend was worried that something was really wrong with me, but almost wasn't phased when I came out, even though he never suspected. If you're best friend really is a friend, they shouldn't have any problem, and if anything, it might help make the bond between you stronger.

So if you read all of that, well- thanks!(!) Hopefully, it made you smile and maybe you even learned something :eusa_danc So, I guess, in time and with the help of my best friend, I will be telling more of my friends. So I will let you know how that goes, but for now, that's pretty much it.

2. TimK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds great! Well done.

3. PeteNJ

Great for you! You should be proud of your bravery in coming out! Congratulations.

And a really inspiring story for others -- yep, having a good friend - who has your back, who is part of your posse -- makes all the difference.

Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

4. thelastsong92

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    GeorgieBoy Your story is same as mine... coincidentally or not :grin: but only thing different was my best friend was my Crush... :slight_smile:

5. Silver Wolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Always a great start by telling your best friend, wish you the best of luck with everyone else!

6. GeorgieBoy

Thanks all of you so much for your comments! It really feels good to tell someone. My best friend told his girlfriend like I said he could if he wanted, so we've been talking with each other about that to do next. I think I might wait to tell others, and just speak to the two people who know for support and advice. And of course, I'll keep checking EC for support and advice from all of you. Thanks again, all of you! :grin:

#6 GeorgieBoy, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  7. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Congratutlations!!!, I hope the rest of ur friends react the same way :slight_smile:

8. ilovebears

That's when you know you have a friend for life. Congrats!