1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my boss, unexpectedly

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LorenzG1950, Dec 22, 2006.

1. LorenzG1950

This week some friends from work and I had our traditional Christmas lunch. Afterwards my boss and I took a stroll through the local Christmas market, stopping for a gluehwein at one of the stands. Surprise. Along comes my boyfriend and I introduce him to my boss. :icon_redf We talked a bit and I make a date for next week when I’m on vacation. My boss (and folks at work) do not know I’m gay. I’ve wanted to tell her because we’re very good friends but I just haven’t had the right opportunity.

I was really happy to see my boyfriend but I declined to show any deeper affection, like a hug or even a kiss :bang: . That pisses me off so much that I’ve decided that the time has come to tell my boss the truth. We haven’t had a chance to talk since then and probably won’t see each other until the new year. So here is my plan. She gets a huge rainbow candle. And I prepared a nice CD collection for some of my other friends containing the following on the inside cover:

All of the songs in this collection represent small episodes in
    a very $exciting year for me, the year of self-discovery. I‘ve
    made many new friends, and began to appreciate the old
    ones who accept me the way I am. I fell in love at least
    twice in a matter of a few months and it feels just fabulous.
    Don‘t know how I survived so long with an important part of
    me hidden in the closet.(Lorenz, December 2006)

Thanks to all the folks who supported me in my project to
    jump off of a cliff. The landing was sooooo smooth!

1. One Headlight – The Wallflowers
    2. Stand Alone – Honeymoon Suite
    3. Everything Changes – Staind
    4. Back In The High Life – Steve Winwood
    5. Run To The Water – Live
    6. Billie – Richenel
    7. Bad Company – Bad Company
    8. Give Love A Chance – Michael Thompson Band
    9. Waiting For The Sunshine – Jimmy Nail
    10. Everything I Need – Keb Mo
    11. Old Friend – Nik Kershaw & Elton John
    12. The Changes – Bruce Hornsby
    13. Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol
    14. Daddy‘s All Gone – Average White Band
    15. In My Life – Johnny Cash
    16. Start The Car – Jude Cole

I’m sure she will figure the rest out for herself until we can talk. I’m also sure she won’t have a problem with it. At worst, she might be offended that I didn’t tell her sooner.

So my question. Is this too corny a way to come out to my boss? I also thought about just telling her by the way, “remember that friend of mine you met at the Christmas market…”

I have no intention of retreating into the closet so that’s not an option. And next time I run into a situation like this, I just want to be my gay self. Now I fully understand some of the other folks here who were reluctant to be themselves in certain situations. Just didn’t think it would happen to me :eek: .

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I am wondering if it is too subtle and she won't get the message. Some people can miss the point even when it is fairly obvious. You can probably judge that though.

I think it would be easier and less ambiguous to just tell her as you suggested “remember that friend of mine you met at the Christmas market…”.

3. TriBi

Paul just said pretty much exactly what I was thinking of typing...

Whichever way you decide to play it - I hope it all goes well!

4. LorenzG1950

You guys are right. I think I'll do the gift on her desk routine and follow it up with the "remember my friend..." conversation:lol: .

Thanks and happy holidays:smilewave

5. tired_of_lying411

there. now THAT sounds like the perfect balance.

GOOD LUCK!

6. Yeah, I agree -- sounds like a good balance and a good plan.

Good luck, Lorenz!

7. GuitarGirl1350

Yes. Good luck.
    But Lorenz,
    When you try to do something subtle, people usually can't figure it out.
    Hell, I pointed out hot chicks to my friend for a while and he still didn't figure it out.

8. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Exactly. I have had several times when I thought it could not be more obvious, yet people completely missed it. Then they still don't really believe it when you tell them directly - they think you are joking or something.

Some straight people just don't consider that there could be any other way....

Good luck with whatever approach you take, and please let us know how it goes.

9. LorenzG1950

Hey, Hey(!)

The right moment finally came after a successful New Year’s reception. My boss offered to give me a ride home and I suggested that she drop me off downtown, I wanted to go out and celebrate a bit. As we headed towards the National Theater (and the gay district), she turned on the street right to my favorite gay bar, Café Klatsch. As she pulled the car to the side of the road, I mentioned that the friend I had introduced her to at the Christmas market was more than just a ``friend``, more like a partner. The rest was pretty easy. I told her that about a year ago, I had arrived at the conclusion that I was gay. I wanted her to know that I was tired of the charade, the little lies about my girlfriend. She thanked me for the trust and told me that she didn’t have a problem with it :eusa_danc . The main thing was that I was happy with who I am. I told her that I was never happier. I’m fairly certain that she was a bit surprised. We both would have a 4-day weekend to adjust to our new relationship.

As many others have expressed in previous threads, the whole thing was rather anti-climactic, less dramatic than what I anticipated. On the other hand, the feeling of liberation is enormous :thumbsup: . I should also add that my boss is a very close friend and has been for the better part of 10 years. She was actually the last person I came out to amongst those who really matter. I still feel bad about not having told her sooner, like at the Christmas market when I had a chance to give my friend the big hug that he deserved. Oh well. It’s easier from here on out. At least I don’t have to stop myself in mid-sentence anymore, wondering whether I’m slipping up.

Feels just great!!!!