1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out To Homophobic Friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by The Dude, May 11, 2013.

1. The Dude

So I have a group of 7 or 8 friends, with 5 of us as the core group. The five of us text in a group all day long, we hang out all the time when we're all home from college, etc. These are my four best friends, and without them I'd be a big loner. I came out to three of them over the last two months, and there was one left. He's very conservative, seems to hate gays, uses "faggot" a lot, etc.

For years there's been a joke about me being gay in the group, and yesterday he said to me, "who knew that for all of these years you were serious" after a gay joke was made. So I said, "so you finally figured it out, or did one of them tell you?" He just said he figured it out, and that was that.

For the rest of the night, we hung out and everything was normal. He made a few gay jokes, all in fun, and we ripped him for the crap he does. It was a typical Friday night with the guys, watching the NHL playoffs and some Game of Thrones re-runs.

Today we were all texting, while I was at my grandmothers. While we were there, my grandmom was ripping my gay cousin's new boyfriend for being too effeminate. She liked his last boyfriend a lot, but this one not so much. She's not against gays, but I guess is a bit uncomfortable around two gay guys, when one is rather flamboyant. I was texting my friends about how annoying I thought the conversation was, and my buddy said, "why don't you come out right now?" I said I wasn't ready for that and explained how I was afraid of rejection. He then said, "give me the address of anyone who has a problem with it and I'll break their kneecaps." This is an inside joke among my group of friends, but it still makes sense out of that context...

Here I thought my friend would be the least supportive, when instead he is supportive and told me to come out and take the "weight off of my shoulders". I, and so many of us on EC, get so worked up and its all for nothing. I'm now out to my four closest friends, can be myself 100% of the time around them, and it feels great.

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Dude for taking that giant step (*hug*)

3. MixedNutz

That's great! Congrats

4. Asari

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yey! Congrats

5. hkboy93

congrats!
    are u out your gay cousin yet?

6. lexcat

lexcat Guest

That's awesome! This actually gives me a little bit of faith in humanity. :slight_smile:

7. The Dude

No I'm not. He's about 11 years older than I am and I only see him twice a year. So we're not that close, although we are very friendly when we do see each other. I've considered reaching out to him over facebook, sort of like I would reach out on EC, but hasn't happened. Feeling great with my friends knowing so far, so we'll see.

Thanks everybody for the congrats!