1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to myself and others...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Metalasaurus, May 18, 2013.

1. Metalasaurus

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was born into a devout, fundamentalist, evangelical Christian home. All of the stereotypes you've heard about fundamentalists could very well have been my family. I was raised from an early age to believe all the worst stereotypes of sexuality. I was taught to believe that the only acceptable form of sexuality is heterosexuality. Because of that if I ever felt any kind of attraction for a guy I would quickly squash it down and convince myself that it was never there.

In 2009 I met a woman with whom I fell in love. Early in our relationship she told me she is bisexual. I was fine with it. By that point I had left the church and left Christianity. We talked, from time to time, about the potential of having a three-way relationship with another girl. The idea excited me. I told her that I had no problem with her having sex with a girl as long as I could either watch or join in. Later in that year we were married.

As time went on we still, on occasion, entertained the idea of having a third in the relationship. Just recently, we were talking about it again. As we were talking I proposed a hypothetical scenario and asked her opinion on it. The scenario was this: If we met a girl and really liked her, to the point that we actually fell for her and wanted to have sex, then discovered the "girl" was actually a guy in drag but that didn't bother me, I still had the same feelings and same sexual attraction what does that say about me? She looked at me for a moment and said, "I would say that makes you bisexual. Let me ask you this, do you acknowledge that there is the possibility that you could fall in love with both a woman and a man?" After several moments of thought I had to admit that such a possibility did exist. I realized at that point that I actually liked the idea of the third person in our relationship being a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend.

After that conversation I had do to a lot of thinking, reflection and introspection. I came to the conclusion that I am, in fact, bisexual and there's nothing wrong with it. My wife gave me the courage to acknowledge and accept my bisexuality. We are a happily married bisexual couple. I have come out to a few friends, one of whom is a bisexual drag queen. I know that I could never come out to my parents. But that's okay, it doesn't really matter. At this point in my life I don't need their acceptance or approval. I know who I am and I'm happy with it.

We have a beautiful one year old daughter. And I think she has an advantage. By having two bisexual parents she will be able to learn tolerance and acceptance of all sexual orientations.