1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came Out Possibly Transgender to my Therapist

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Balloonwolf, May 18, 2013.

1. Balloonwolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wasn't sure how the therapy session would go when I knew I would have to bring up my gender conflict. A week ago, my best friend and I were choosing nicknames for each other. Xe's agender, so xe wanted a name that would suit hir. I told hir Sawyer, and xe loved it. When it was hir turn to give me a nickname, xe gave me several, but the one I liked the most was Brandy. That sent me into a week long existential crisis on myself and my gender. In the end, I decided I feel comfortable and happy under the name Brandy and set of female pronouns rather than male ones.
    Thursday was when I went in to see my therapist. We discussed how the week went, and she also talked with me on how to handle work stress since I work with many different ethnic groups and types of students. But when we got to an opening, I told her I think I might be transgender or one of the variants of it. We talked, and she told me I show both masculine and feminine traits, but she said I should ultimately be who I want to be and not label myself. I asked her if it's okay to go by Brandy and female pronouns, and she said there wasn't: "What's in a name?". The therapist even said if I feel like wearing feminine shirts, I should go right ahead and do so as long as I'm safe about it.
    Overall, I feel okay with what we discussed. A lot went into it throughout the session, of course, but I'm going to work on letting out my feminine side by staying with Brandy, being comfortable with the pronouns, and seeing where I go next. I told her I wasn't interested currently in transitioning, but who knows?

Any advice on where to go or what to do next?

2. The Dude

I don't have advice but congrats for talking to a therapist about it! That's a brave thing you did, you should be proud of yourself.

Hopefully someone will come around and give you some advice though. I would but I have no valid experiences to share.

Good luck in the future!

3. Goodnyte

Congrats on talking about! I agree with the previous poster, that is a brave thing to do. Good job!

My advice? Do what you plan on doing. Work on letting your feminine side out, getting comfortable with yourself etc. That is all I can give you. Hopefully someone will hav better advice than me later on..