1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Came Out To My Sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Kari, May 19, 2013.

1. Kari

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I posted here a few months ago, asking for advice on whether or not I should come out at that time. I'm a 19 year old girl and I've known that I was gay since I was about 13, though I didn't fully admit it to myself until recently.

Over the past several months, I have wanted to be able to tell someone. I'm a really shy person and, after I dropped out of public high school and started going to community college at age 15, I lost touch with all my former friends and found it hard to make new ones. I wished that I had a good friend that I could tell, but since I have no social life or friends at all right now, that wasn't an option. Today, I woke up and I just really wanted to tell someone. I was tired of no one knowing but me. I live with my parents and two younger sisters, and I was debating between my mom and my 16 year old sister. After a little argument with my mom, I decided if I was going to tell someone today, it was going to be my sister.

She and my 9 year old sister were playing a computer game together and I approached them and asked to talk to my 16 year old sister alone. I told her that I had never told anyone what I was about to tell her. I was crying a lot and I had never imagined how hard it would be to say the words out loud for the first time. It's not something I'm ashamed of at all, but it was still really difficult. I finally said "I'm gay and I've known since I was 13 and it's been really hard not telling anyone." All while crying. My sister hugged me and told me she didn't care. She also said that "no one in this house would care." I told her I wasn't ready to tell anyone else and she promised not to say anything. She asked me if this is why I had so many problems with school. I told her it might have something to do with it. She hugged me again. Our mom walked in a few moments later and I got up and left the room without a word.

I think I'm glad that I told her. It's nice to have someone that knows other than me. I just still can't believe how hard it was to tell her. I want to eventually tell more people, obviously, but I think that until I get myself together and develop a social life for myself, I'm going to keep it between my sister and me.

Any thoughts on what has just transpired here would be appreciated.

2. The Dude

I'm in a similar situation, except 4 of my best friends know.

Just two days ago I told my oldest brother. He hugged me, said it explained a lot, said he didn't care and that "no one in this house will give a shit". It meant a lot for him to say that. He does ask me if/when I'll tell my parents, but I just ignore it. He won't tell, as I trust your sister won't.

I think you should be very happy. At least one person in your life is supportive. She said your family won't care and hopefully she's right. Still though, take your time with it. I fully understand the burden you're carrying. Having said that, telling more people really helped me overcome a 5 month bout of depression.

You should be very proud of yourself, you did a very courageous thing. I hope you continue to find courage, although if you aren't ashamed of anything, then I'll take it you are happy with who you are. Friends will come with time, but you must be persistent in finding them. Having friends I bet will solve the rest of your problems, even those with school. In the meantime, count on your family, especially your sister. They love you!

I'm rambling, but those are my thoughts on your situation. Congratulations!

3. StfuAahlee

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's really good that she was accepting and supportive. You should go ahead and call a family meeting and just let them know!

4. Sayu

Aww, good for you! Your sister seems like a nice person :slight_smile:

5. prussianblue100

That's amazing. Now I wanna tell someone, but...Not ready...