1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told my friend, kinda disappointed.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by riahf, May 20, 2013.

1. riahf

I went on another date with this girl. It went really well, we held hands and really enjoyed one another (no kissing unfortunately). I had never felt butterflies in my stomach before for anyone, guys always just made me feel nervous, but I had butterflies for her. I was really excited. and I was so happy that I had to tell someone.

So I texted my friend and told her I had something I needed to tell her. She texted me the next day and came over in the evening. By then I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell her, but she already knew I had something to say. So I came out as not straight.

Her reaction was really disappointing, she said ok, then moved on. I was expecting more support since I was clearly having a hard time even saying it. She has always made it clear she was in support of LGBT people, so I thought she would be more supportive of me. I was hoping for more interest. I just wanted to talk to somebody about my awesome date and even after telling her I was coming out as not straight just to tell her about this awesome date she decided to talk about her life instead.

I'll admit that her life is busy, but I was really expecting more from my best friend.

Rant over, I just don't know how to proceed from now on. For some reason she's assuming I'm bi, which is not the case, as I'm not sure if I even have any interest in guys. I'm not going to correct her, because I don't want to be disappointed again, but now I have nobody to talk to about any of this. What do I do now?

2. WanderingGhost

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She seems kind of puzzled by all of this, doesn't she? Maybe it was kind of a surprise and it caught her completely off guard. If my friends knew I was bi it would totally surprise them.

3. riahf

You're right. If it was switched, I probably wouldn't know how to react either. I went ahead and talked about it today with her in a very small dose, just mentioned where we had gone on a date and how good the movie was. She reacted a lot better today and asked me a bit more about it. Maybe she just needed time to process.

4. StfuAahlee

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Id listen to you talk about your great date =] haha I have no one to talk to about that shit either, assuming I had a date..hell my best frend thinks being gay "is a choice she disagrees with." yeah...

I see you saying it got better with your friend so im glad for you

5. riahf

Thanks, I'd be glad to talk to you as well! I'm not sure how the whole wall thing works, but I should probably figure it out eventually!

My friend's still a bit confused, but what do I expect when I'm probably even more confused than her, but she seems supportive of me and even suggested places to go on dates, so at least she's interested!

I'm sorry you're friend isn't supportive of you, that really sucks, but hopefully she'll come around.

6. MixedNutz

Did you come out as "not straight" or "gay" I've found they can be taken two totally different ways. If she is truly your best friend, you should correct her and tell her how you feel.

Is she normally that self centered or was she just unsure how to react?

7. riahf

I came out as not straight, which probably added to her confusing reaction. She's generally pretty self centered though, so it was kind of normal for her to change the subject to her. I don't think she knows very much about me other than she can vent to me when she's stressed.

And thanks, I think I will correct her, just so it doesn't lead to confusion later.