1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to LGBT group! :DDD

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by drwinchester, May 30, 2013.

1. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

So, since I'm still really euphoric, kind of on a high about the whole thing, feel like I need to make a thread.

Today was my LGBT group, which is a weekly kind of support group/meet-up sort of deal, and I'd been debating coming out to them for a while, since realizing I was trans*. The group's trans* friendly and a few members are trans*- friend of mine actually came out a couple weeks ago as a guy himself. But I've been anxious about actually doing it, if it'd be a good idea or if I should wait until I'm maybe a little more 100% about my identity.

Well. We were checking in, signing our names in the log. Log got passed to me and I agonized it for a while, deciding what name to put down. Finally just said 'what the hell' and put my guy name down.

Check-in also involves saying name, giving preferred pronouns, among other things (like age, school, etc.). My turn comes and I went ahead and just said "Hey, name's Byron. Male pronouns."

Friends were obviously caught a little off-guard by my coming out, since I do present as a femme female most of the time, but otherwise, I was well received. Lots of congratulations, askings if I had a nickname, etc. (Which is now Ron, btw)

So still really, really euphoric at this point. Not coming out to anyone else right now, but at least I'm a guy somewhere. :grin: (!) (!) (!)

2. BornInTexas

Congratulations! :slight_smile: Glad to hear it went well.

3. yellowsun

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Aww, I'm glad it went well for you! :slight_smile:

4. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Congrats on coming out. Glad to hear they're supportive. :slight_smile: And it's nice when you have a place where you can be yourself for once and accepted.. I'm jealous, ha.

5. The Dude

Awesome dude way to be courageous! I'm glad you were received well, I bet it feels great. Good luck to you!

6. Candace

Good to hear! Doesn't it feel great now?! :slight_smile:

7. Congrats! I've been seriously considering going to my first LGBT group too. They have a trans* meeting once a week, and I figure it'd be good to make friends and I can find out helpful info about what I need to do and other tips.. as dysphoria isn't something that just "goes away".

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Thanks y'all. :3 Definitely feels like a weight off my chest (believe me, still giddy and euphoric, on a bit of a Cloud nine here), especially since now I'm a guy somewhere in the world. :3