1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My grandma finally figured it out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BradThePug, May 31, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (Backstory in spoiler)

Backstory
    Just about the time that I joined this forum, I was told that I was "no longer welcome" at my old church. The reason that I was not longer welcome was because I gave a message during announcement time that I was in favor of gay rights. I went to one more service after that and I came out to the entire church saying that I was bi (which I thought that I was at the time). My church membership was then revoked because of "sexual immorality". At the time this happened, I was the youth group president. So, pretty much everything that I had worked for was taken away in the blink of an eye. I was still allowed to attend youth group though, because the leader did not know what that my membership had been revoked. Then I went to college, so none of that mattered anyways. Fast forward to Oct. 2012. It was national coming out day. I finally came out to the youth leader (letter for those interested). He didn't take it well. At all. 1 month later, he finally replied to my message saying that "he didn't agree with my decisions, but he would never turn his back on me." He couldn't have lied more when he said that. He would send me messages, post on my facebook wall and cyberstalk me. He even gave my cell phone number to a ex-gay ministry. So, I reported him for harassment. The police gave him a warning (even though I had 2 years of documented cyber-harassment :bang:slight_smile:. He has not bothered me since. The church got a new minister. He invited me to come back. So I did. It was the most awkward thing ever. So, I never went back. People are now asking why I didn't come back.

Somewhat close to present day
    (This all happened on mother's day. I was trying to hide the fact that I am gay because I didn't want to come out on mother's day.. that just didn't seem right to me at all..) My grandma's friends has been asking why I no longer go to church. So, I told her that I did not go because the church and I had different beliefs. Well, she kept asking. So then I told her that I believed that gay marriage should be legal while the church thinks that it should remain illegal. I then told her that I was also having problems with some of the members. She then asked who, so I told her who. She then asked why I was having problems with them, I stumbled on the answer, and ended up saying that it was because of our differences in beliefs. I told her that I had become atheist and that was the main problem (Which I am atheist, but a lot of these battles led to that.) Well, she didn't believe me. We had to leave before we could continue the conversation, so she then took it back up with my parents.

My parents went over to my grandparents house without me one day (I was having major allergy problems..) Well, my grandma immediately began to ask questions. She asked about my battles within the church and she asked about the battles with the people of the church as well. Then my grandma asked if she was right when she assumed that I am gay. My mom confirmed that I am gay. My grandma asked about my gender too. My mom said that I hate gender. (That's right! I'm now a gender hater..lol) I haven't been to my grandma's house since then, because we've both been busy. She called me though and talked to me. She told me that she is ok with me being gay and she supports me 100%. She asked me if I have a partner. I told her that I do not. She told me that if I do have a partner, I am more than welcome to bring them to family events.

Looking back, I think that she has known for a long time. I remember a conversation last summer. My aunt noticed my rainbow wristband. I told her that it was about diversity. Well, then my grandma started talking about every gay couple that she knew. So, I have a feeling that I just confirmed a lot of my family's suspicions. Now that my grandma knows, everybody will know. She's quite the gossiper... which means that I am most likely fully out one side of my extended family. Only one member on this side of my family has a problem with it (but she has problems with all the family members...)

So, there you have have it. I'm one step closer to being 100% out. (!)(!)

2. JPC

JPC Guest

Your Nana is really cool for being so laid back about it! Good for you! :slight_smile:

3. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Ya congrats! :slight_smile:

4. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Congratulation :grin:

5. The Dude

It makes it so much easier when they put it together isn't it? Congratulations! So happy for you.

6. SwirlingOcean

7. Femmeme

What a fantastic grandmother you have! Thank you for sharing this. Stories like this give us all hope! (*hug*)

8. BornInTexas

Your grandmother sounds wonderful! :slight_smile:

9. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its sounded like you have a really nice grandma! Congratulations:slight_smile:

10. MixedNutz

Wot that's great. Happy that your grandmother was so accepting.

11. ilovebears

You're so lucky to have had her pry your answers out of you. That's great. I'm sure it wouldn't have been easier otherwise... congrats

12. Candace

Go Granny! And (like mine) grandmas are usually very wise for her age. You're not fooling her haha. Congrats for you both :slight_smile: