1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm not sure if this counts...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BornInTexas, Jun 5, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

...but I'm pretty damn proud of myself! :grin:

I made a post earlier on worrying about someone seeing me sign up for the GSA at the new college I am going to. I did take up on the advice of emailing the representative / president for either a private meeting exchange due to personal reasons. :grin:

Sadly, I had to go to the booth because they couldn't fill out the form without my signature.

Anyhow, my friends actually urged me to go to it, because they considered joining themselves. :grin: I proudly went to the GSA booth, in the middle of the gym where everyone was looking at the other ones, and signed up! :grin:

So, I'm not sure if that counts, but I had to put my orientation down, and so basically the two representatives at the booth know I like guys, and I'm very, very happy.

Also on the bright side, there were a TON of new freshman who signed up. No one else from my school other than my friends were there, too! So it was basically coming out to everyone from around the nation as they filled out theirs beside me. :grin:

And they have a discretion policy. Parents of closeted LGBT teens cannot access the student's RSOs (registered student organizations). That way my mom and dad won't find out. :slight_smile:

(!)(!) Still dance party!

2. The Dude

My only regret of freshman year of college was not joining my schools Queer Student Union, or at least talking to someone from the group. I'm still afraid to join it in August, which will be my sophomore year. Hopefully I do it, and I now have one friend who said he'll make sure I do it when the semester begins.

I'm glad you are happy, and I assure you that you saved yourself a major headache. Living in the closet in college was the single most depressing experience I've ever faced. Be out in college from the get-go, it'll be the best decision you make, trust me.

So, congratulations! I'm pumped for you buddy. And that discretion policy sure does come in handy, doesn't it?

3. Ticklish Fish

congratulations!

I have no regret because as a commuter, I can't stay long enough for social things and I need to study :confused:

4. Batman is swag

Woohoo! You should be proud! Congratulations, that was very brave! :slight_smile:

5. biggayguy

YAY!!! Happy Dance (!)(!)(!)(!)(!) That's a great step forward. I'm proud of you for having the courage to do that.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you 'Texas!

Wish I had the guts to join the then-called Queer-Association at Uni back in the early eighties...things would have been way different!

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congratulations! I knew you could do it!

---------- Post added 7th Jun 2013 at 09:21 AM ----------

I have a feeling that this could be a common lament among those here in our age bracket...

I don't even think my college had any sort of GSA in the late 80s.

Back then, I'd probably have been 1,000,000,000,000% sure that I was the only guy with any sort of strange feelings towards other guys.

8. BornInTexas

Thanks you guys. :slight_smile: I'm still really happy I did it.

To the older guys, I'm sure it was a lot harder to join it back then. You would have had to have a LOT more confidence than me just to come out, or just accept that you were gay.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Dude (!)(!)(!)(!)(!) So Proud of you (!)(!)(!)(!)(!)

10. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wished for my school to have something like a LBGT club or someting. It would help me greatly. sadly, it doesn't =/