1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my uncle

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Pantherpaw, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Pantherpaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The scariest coming out I've done yet.

My uncle takes my to the gym 3 times a week, cause I'm in pain all the time, and can't walk enough to be healthy. So thankfully my aunt and uncle help me out. And I'm really grateful for that. It's made a huge difference in my quality of life.

On this day, my uncle and I were talking about the green lantern. I guess the new green lantern is to be portrayed as a homosexual. His word was faggot. Normal I brush it aside. Cause usually I know it's not direct at a person. This time I asked. Now my uncle had an unwanted experience as young adult. And I understand that has colored his feelings. So I tried to let it go. But it was bothering while I was working out. And usually that's my time to be stress free. And It just wouldn't stop running in my head. I think it was the "all faggots should die" remark.

So while on the drive back home. I asked him to look at me. Look at the way I was dressed (guys black tee, storm trooper pants, androgynous shoes). He was like "what". I said uncle I'm gay. I'm gay, and I'm transgendered.
    Him: it's a choice.
    Me: no it's not. I didn't choose to be like this. I didn't choose to run the risk of humiliation and ridicule by my own family. I didn't choose to take the hard road.

In fact I told him that I've been trying to be straight my whole life and its hasn't worked and that it wasn't healthy for me to lie to my self. And that I refuse to be other then what I am now.

And I told him that his feeling were valid. And that he should hate the person, and hate what was done to him. But don't hate the sexuality. And I understand exactly because I had the same experiences. And i told him one of the reasons I had be struggling was because my own father was gay, and a pedophile. And he really seemed to think about it.

Then we talked about cars and fishing.

All in all, it was a good thing. Scary as all hell. But good. He was the one person in my family that I was scared to tell. Because, for all his faults and prejudices, I would model my self after him, minus the prejudice. :goodevil: