1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my brother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Randy, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I did it (!) (!)
    I came to terms with myself and came out to my brother. The timing was unusual and I just took a deep breath and told him "I am gay."

Lemme say this first: I had already concocted a plan of not initially coming out to any of my immediate family but this guy that I really really like, like "oh my gosh if he texts me, lemme stop doing whatever and reply," texted me while my brother was handling my phone. Why he had my phone is irrelevant (so don't ask). Well anyway, this guy (let's call him Bob), Bob texted me "Hey" and I quickly swiped my phone away from him before he could reply (he likes to do that for some reason). Anyway Bob, in my phone, was under Bob <3 so that sent a message to my brother that he's my bro (I think). A few hours later, I was talking to my friend and told him this and he was like "Ahhh he must know" and I was like "ok, I'll verbally tell him when I get the chance".

Let's fast-forward to today:
    Brother and I were driving to Target for some stuff we really needed. I figured, well I made a promise to my friend and I that I would do it today. I also figured, my bro & I were alone and he's very understanding. I started off the conversation not how one would imagine it at a time like this. I started it off by saying "Don't try to look at my text messages again, you may not like what you find" or something of that nature. My brother replied, "All it said was hey, I was going to reply hey with a winky face." After that I took a huge sigh, thought to myself "Should I really do this?" and let out the four words
    "(brother's name), I am gay." Subsequently to that phrase, he was like "What?" so I repeated myself. We went through this whole process like 3-4 times before I saw what was going on. I do the same thing just because I want to. So I asked him "Are you surprised or something?" He said "yes, very much so." I told him "well you should have seen this coming when you asked me years ago when I was in denial". His rebuttal was: "I do remember that, but I was jokingly asking" (side note: I hate when people do that, makes me very angry. A question like that should NOT be taken in a jokingly manner). We went into Target, got our stuff and went on our way. Before I started the car, I asked him if he was supportive of me and he replied "well if I wasn't, I would be walking home but it's too hot and too far". I figured fair enough, but deep down I know he's supportive of me. He's my brother, I'm one of his role models, peer mentor if you choose to look at it that way.

I think the rest of the story is pointless to tell. It really has nothing to do with the point of this post.

EPILOGUE:
    I ended up having to go back to Target and I was thinking to myself "Did I really just do that?", I started driving and I felt much much better now I have someone to share with.

No more having to carry this burden on my back anymore.

#1 Randy, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. Praetor

That's huge! I still haven't told my own brother, so I must say congratulations!

3. Ticklish Fish

Congrats!

So you basically come out in Target, mind if I ask what section/aisle or between what sections/aisles was it in?

electronic? kids?

But really, congrats! (coming out in public store yikes :/ I fear people overheard)

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    haha I didn't come out in Target (I'm not that brave). We were driving to Target and I had a feeling it needed to be said since it occupied my brain the past few days.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2013 at 01:41 AM ----------

Figured it would be better then coming out to my mother who is an ultra-catholic and then my dad I don't know about him. My brother is pretty great and understanding, I really hate to keep secrets from him!

5. Split Arrows

Wow you are braver than I am!

So happy for you that you got such a supportive response from him (that made me tear up a bit)!

6. Amerigo

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: woo!

7. EarthBound

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wohoo! Congratulations on getting that burden off your back.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Fella :thumbsup: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

9. emz

emz

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congratulations! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

Wish I had your bravery!

Must feel like the worlds been lifted off your shoulders.

I'll just stay hidden in my lonely closet for now lol.

10. MixedNutz

Awesome!! :eusa_danc

I bet you feel great:thumbsup:

11. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I mean there's still the thing with my mother but I'll wait until I move out. Hearing too many stories of young adults coming out and their parents kicking them out or cutting them off really scares me. Or I'll just forever keep it a secret from my parents. Either one, probably the latter. But yea, other then that, I feel super duper great!

12. Martjain

Congrats!!!! I still have to tell my brother, so you're an inspiration!!!

13. PeteNJ

Congratulations! Proud of you for standing up for who you are -- that's great!

So glad for you shared this with your brother... he'll have your back, for sure!

14. Martjain

Btw this inspired me to make a post about the subject if you're interested in reading it here it is: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/98122-dude-really-you-gay.html

15. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that confuses me from seeing all of y'all's replies is why I was so brave haha it lingered in my brain until it busted out. But whatever the reason is, thank you and I admire that y'all admire said bravery. And to those of you who say that I'm an inspiration, I thank y'all and hope my situation can help y'all in y'all's own way.

Sorry for saying y'all so much, I guess I'm a native Texan and embracing my cultural pride!!