1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coming out story... Well, that was simple.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Ashen, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Ashen

So, my coming out story isn't nearly as tumultuous as some people have had around here. Basically I had discovered asexuality about a week prior, and was starting to accept that I myself was one. My mother had always said she would love and support me no matter what happened (my uncle is actually gay, so I figured that much. But I blame Dr. Phil for making her randomly call all her kids up and say that out of nowhere). So I figured this would go well, but asexuality was a bit of a minority and I didn't even know how she would react since she probably didn't know about it. But I printed out the wikipedia page ( :lol: ), sat her down, and told her that I was asexual. Easy enough, basically we spent about 5 minutes talking about it, and she went through a (very) short denial stage of asking me if I was just a late bloomer, etc. Before saying that no matter what happened she would accept me and going back to whatever was normal.

Since then I've just gradually come out to people I deem close enough, rather nonchalantly as well. I first told a friend, and then my step-father (who might as well be my dad), and both knew what it was and were fine with it! As well as some other people, so at this rate I'm more or less out, and just waiting for people to either ask me or the right opportunity to pop up for the people who don't know.

2. Fiddledeedee

That sounds great! I'm glad you mom is fine with it, and being out casually is a wonderful thing. May you continue to get good reactions!

Also, printing out the Wikipedia page... XD indeed!

3. Ashen

Indeed for the wikipedia page... I didn't really know what else to do! Even today I still wear my black ring (a symbol of asexuality) proudly and told her what it meant as soon as I had ordered it. I still feel slightly awkward whenever I mention it for more than a short amount of time (but I think that has more to do with the fact that since I'm heteroromantic the only difference is I don't want to have sex with any of the girls I randomly see... And whether it be wanting it or not wanting it I don't think a son's mother wants to hear about that area).