1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad found out I'm gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jared, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Jared

So I'm home for summer at the moment and doing long distance with my boyfriend. I talk to him everyday, but at kinda odd hours, didn't want my parents to know I have a boyfriend, mom would freak and wasn't out to my dad. So I was talking to him on the phone around midnight when I thought everyone was asleep and I was as far away from my parents as I could be in the house. Apparently I woke my dad up and he eavesdropped on our convo long enough to find I have a boyfriend. I didn't know he had heard us until the next morning.

When I walked out into the kitchen he was like "So I heard you on the phone last night..." My stomach just dropped and I felt sick, I was expecting it to go very poorly since he's pretty redneck and conservative and says homophobic stuff all the time, never says gay only faggot. It actually went surprisingly well, he just said it didn't matter to him and he was happy for me, I was pretty shocked. He asked about my boyfriend a bit and that was that. It was kinda weird since we talked about everything indirectly, gay and boyfriend were never said, just heavily implied.

So now I'm out to both my parents, though neither knows the other knows and my mom doesn't know I have a boyfriend still. I feel like I should tell them the other knows, but I hate bringing up my sexuality with my parents, it's awkward and my mom gets mad when we do, we've only talked about it twice since I came out last year.

2. BornInTexas

Woah. Congratulations. I guess this is one of those rare situations where the parent 'changes their view' as their child reveals, either directly or indirectly, their sexuality. xP

Congratulations, Jared. Hopefully everything else happens more smoothly.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think most people find it odd to talk about sexual stuff (gay or straight) with their parents, and talking about gay stuff, particularly with someone you perceive as being unaccepting, has got to be even more awkward.

My guess is that he probably suspected for a while... it's funny that often, we feel like we're doing such a great job of hiding it, and it's *far* more obvious to others than we realize. So very likely he's had a chance to think about it and come to terms with it, and just took the opportunity to get the elephant out of the room.

I think you should probably bite the bullet and tell your mom you have a boyfriend (and maybe also that your dad overheard and knows what's up). That way, you're being authentic with both of them. She may get upset, but in the long term, she knows it's who you are, and she'll accept it.

4. LD579

Congratulations =) It may be best if they both know that the other knows. Otherwise they may just tiptoe around the other on that issue, and that doesn't seem... helpful or anything, at all. I wish you the best.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Congrats dude! Always great to read stories like this. I agree with everyone else on here, I think you should tell your parents that the other knows.

6. Ticklish Fish

Congratulations!

I guess you're out now XD

7. srslywtf

See this is why I hate how fag/faggot is used as an insult by people that dont actually mean to be hateful, they've just never considered the reasons why they use it... It's too hard to tell where people stand on the matter!

Glad it turned out OK though!

I'm sure one of them will talk to the other.. It might be a good idea to get in first though.

8. Batman is swag

(!)(!)(!):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:(!)(!)(!):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:(!)(!)(!) CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

9. 2112

Definitely very awkward. After I came out to my parents, my mom asked how I knew. I'm just glad she didn't try to actually make me explain :lol:

10. theMaverick

Hey congrats!

11. justjade

I understand your not wanting to talk with your parents about your sexuality. I'm very much the same way.

However, I do think it would be good to tell your mom about your boyfriend and let her know that your dad knows and vice verse.

Other than that, congrats! I'm really happy for you! :thumbsup: