1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News 'White History Month' Float Stirs Controversy at July 4th Parade

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    'White History Month' Float Stirs Controversy At July 4th Parade

More in link

2. MerBear

Only in my state and maybe texas. seriously, this is why i hate living in north carolina....i hate living in the US In the general. People these days

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Any) History month is really stupid. People of any particular well-established race are no more a community than LGBT-ers are. And if I were black and knew that we had a month to celebrate other black people's contributions to society, I'd be offended at how patronizing that is.

I understand that black people were particularly disadvantaged for most of US history, but think about it this way: a bunch of white people are basically saying "D'aww, look at the widdle bwack people, they can do things just like us!" It's giving direct racism such a wide berth that we have gone around the equator and are closing on it from the other side. What's so wrong with "Humanity Month" where we celebrate the achievements of all races and countries? I'd be much more excited for that.

4. Tim

Tim

I actually see no issue with someone trying to celebrate a fake White History month.

They crossed the line with the Confederate Flag though.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are eleven white history months.

6. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Fuck no. Why is this a thing? Black history month is to recognize civil rights activists in the 50's and 60's such as Martin Luther King Jr, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, etc. because black people were forced to (and still are because of this) have much lower quality education as white people, had to sit in the back of the bus where all the exhaust was, were SPRAYED WITH FIREHOSES, etc. Tell me one day that all this has happened to white people, and maybe it'll be justified.

7. Tim

Tim

I don't agree with this.

I may be white, but I also think it's ridiculous people can discriminate against white people.

Whether or not it's intended, comments like this are discriminatory against white people. (I'm not implying you are, just that when people say things like this, they are in turn being discriminatory.)

There's black history month, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, Haitian Heritage Month, Irish-American Heritage Month, Jewish American Heritage Month, LGBT History Month, National Hispanic Heritage Month, South Asian Heritage Month, and Women's History Month.

But if someone even attempts to celebrate in their own little world White History Month or Men's History month, they're clearing being racist/sexist. I don't have any issue with straight pride parades either.

Someone celebrating who they are should never offend you. However, when you tell someone they can't, then you're being discriminatory, and probably doing exactly what you are trying to get over with your own history months.

White people have contributed quite a bit to history as well. Not nearly all positive, clearly, but still there are positive things in it.

Black History month also encompasses people of mixed races. Or are you saying people who are part white and part black are not allowed to celebrate Black History month?

The people in question went WAY too far with the confederate flag. But in general, people who go crazy because of things like this, honestly just kind've piss me off. xD

8. MerBear

so Tim, is this the same thing with the "Straight pride month" ..???? sounds like it should be from what you're saying...No offense

9. Tim

Tim

...I clearly said Straight Pride is fine as well.

As long as they are not trying to say being anything else than what is being celebrated is wrong, I have zero issue with people celebrating who they are.

If you do, you're probably more prejudice than the people you're accusing of being.

EDIT: And just to clarify, there is a major difference between celebrating "White History Month" and celebrating things like being part of the confederacy. One is just celebrating what you and your ethnicity has done positively for the world, and the other is about... something much much worse.

From what the article says, these people were not really celebrating what you or I would consider a "History Month."

#9 Tim, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's your own opinion. Not sure though what black people feel about the month though...unless you are black, then okay.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    White people in America have vastly more power than people of color, and I think that whatever discriminatory power being leveled against us is piddling in comparison to what some of us bring to bear against them. I'm never, ever going to be sympathetic about a claim being made about how much we're discriminated against.

I don't think that there's ever an acceptable time for celebration unless we're talking about celebrating our collective struggles to make things better for everyone, including marginalized people. White people have participated in civil rights struggle. We can celebrate that.

But let's not pretend that if we celebrate, collectively, as white people, that's not going to mean something extremely threatening and unwelcome to people of color.

#11 Pret Allez, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  12. MerBear

I honestly think that whole Straight Pride....was a bigots idea and then someone mentioned "white pride month" as an example and here we are....white pride month lady's and gentlemen. WHite pride in the south? yeah for confederate purposes

13. Tim

Tim

Straight Pride probably was a homophobic person's idea.

But not all straight pride events are homophobic. Some of them are just like Gay Pride, celebrating who they are.

The people the article in this thread is about are pretty horrible people though. I'm not defending them int he least bit. Just saying that saying White History Month is stupid is ridiculous.

14. MerBear

well to be honest....this is north carolina were talking about here....Now i don't know about any other southern states but in my state where I live....being here for a long time, I do know that White History month is ridiculous ...where i live at least

15. Tim

Tim

I was born in NC and I've lived there. I know how it is there. My entire family was pretty much shunned by most of the town because we had black friends there. Even the black community had issues with us, aside from the preacher's family our family was friends with. I had friends in school that stopped talking to me one day because their parents told them to. I had like, 2 friends there after everything, and I still wouldn't change anything. They were my friends, and if my other "friends" wanted to stop talking to me because I was friends with them, then they weren't my "friends" in the first place.

And like I said, there's a difference between a White History month and... what these people are doing. That's essentially a White Power Parade, rather than White History.

16. MerBear

exactly....but regardless of what these people are doing....it can represent a whole bunch of people who believe the same thing....and mind you, My state is going downhill already because he have the majority of republicans running my state and I can't tell you the number of things that have gone wrong.

If these people pull together and try and get a "White history month"....you can just say hello again to the old days of racism ...the extreme way.

I don't doubt one sec that republicans will try to agree with it and call it
    "Freedom of expression"

17. Gen

Gen

Black History Month was not created by Caucasians. The idea was created by African Americans as a way to remember the members of the Civil Rights Movement. It later started becoming more popular with the white population after racial hate began to die down and people began to feel shameful of their ancestor's actions.

The idea still proceeds today because African American history is nearly non-existent in standard academic curriculum until eleventh grade nationwide. Many elementary and middle schools take advantage of the month to teach their students of the Civil Rights Movement at an earlier age. White people do not need a history month because 95% of the education system covers them all exclusively.

If one would want an Asian or Latino History Month, that would be reasonable. I would assume that the only reason why their's wouldn't be as stressed is because most of Asian and Latino history happened outside of America and Europe(Which is where academic history standards focus nearly entirely). A white history month is simply laughable.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a case of "Let's not let people celebrate themselves because we don't think they should" It's more of a case that these groups, especially black people who were slaves for centuries in the US and then were just about treated even worse until the Civil Rights act, were oppressed for all of these years. It also seemed taboo at the time to talk about the great things black people did at the time. I mean, fuck George Washington Carver, right? By the thinking of most people, even after the Civil Rights act took place, that man should have been picking cotton. So the whole thing was completely warranted. The balance was tipped way in one direction, and needed to get back in its rightful place.

Is it entirely necessary nowadays? That's debatable, especially where you are. Everyone now talks about the great voices of Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones. We all love the Old Spice guy and listen to Dr Dre headphones.

With celebrating the great things white people do? We do it all the time. I talk all about how great Weird Al and Butch Hartmann are as artistic influences, and how goddamn awesome Ellen Mclain is. We even did it back then, when we celebrated the idiot Christopher Columbus, all our founding fathers, and OOH, is that Frank Sinatra on the radio?

19. Tim

Tim

Both of those exist.

And the fact you find White History Month laughable is horrible to me. I've already said my point on that though.

There's a difference between a White Power-type deal that these close minded people are trying to pass off as a History Month, and what an actual white history month would be.

20. Phoenix92

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that the different history months are annoying, really for all fairness, the government should have an "all or none" mindset.
    Example; fraternities at university, it is perfectly acceptable to have an all exclusive black/Hispanic fraternity, but Goddess forbid you have an all exclusive white fraternity.
    It matters not that for the most part those ethnicities have been treated poorly, they should not treat us who are of a diminishing majority worse than we treated them.
    Another point;
    Still with this subject, any sort of emerging majority can make a ethnic specific organization without fear of being labeled as racist, but the diminishing majority cannot make a similar organization with the same sense of security.
    This is wrong. We should not allow these sort of things to exist.

Final point;
    MLKjr day, why do we not celebrate Malcolm X, another visionary from the civil rights era, both men wanted what was best for their cultures, yet their approaches were completely polar.