1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Istanbul LGBT parade joins protesters against Erdoğan's islamist government

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mohammad, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Mohammad

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Istanbul trans pride march joins Gezi Park protest - Star Observer

TAKE IT ERDOWAN. TAKE IT.

2. Amerigo

anyone who knows anything about turkey knows it was a dump before erdogan, quite frankly. people love getting carried away with unnecessary revolutionary sentiment.

3. Mohammad

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    While it's true that the military coup was horrible, but to say Erdogan is any better is just complete nonsense. He's an opportunist theocrat that pounced on the liberal sentiment post-coup under the guise of 'progressive islamism' and has proceeded to conservatise the country, gain control over the military, and serve as a conduit for military assistance to the nutters in Syria.

But then again you obviously don't know much about Turkey.

Tell that to the folks in South-east Turkey who were killed by the Syrian Sunni extremists the AKP has been supporting. or the people who've had their wages put through the shredder. Or the people who were arrested in previous peaceful protests a couple of years ago.

'Oh so democratic' erdogan, with his brigades of countryside rednecks that he's armed to shut down the silly hooligan protests.

People aren't flocking to the streets and joining strikes simply because it's 'fun to rebel' - that's a ridiculous dismissal. People are standing up in Turkey and want to change everyones' lives for the better, rather than slip into an religious neoliberal hell.

But I guess that's just the fantasies of left-wing terrorists, as the democratic leader Erdogan so kindly put it himself.

4. Amerigo

what you just so eloquently did there, was to delve into all the bad associated with mr. erdogan's prime ministership, and simply dismiss the good as 'complete nonsense' (we're talking about the largest economy of the middle east, like, need i even say more?) well done. though, it doesn't say much about your "assessment" of turkish politics.

it's a little more complicated than that, you know. a NATO member can't simply invade a neighbouring (non-member) country at it's own accord (unless it's name is the united states...), and in such a complicated blood-ridden part of the world which only knows violence and the ba'ath party, it's hardly feasible to expect their to be a fine line between right action and wrong action (i've taken up this view after learning of the number of rapes committed by egyptian "peaceful protesters" against foreign journalists, not to mention the dishonour done to countless second world war graves of fallen christian soldiers). in case you haven't noticed, we're currently in the midst of a global economic crises, scores of people across many countries are having their wages cut, of which, turkey is certainly not the most extreme of cases. yes, sometimes the wrong people get arrested when they become deindividuated in large groups.

just as it's a ridiculous dismissal to state that they're not! uh hello, i've lived through (and i'm sure everyone has, even yourself) these spur of the moment "uprisings" myself. sometimes over the most futile of things. and to suggest that the average man on the street is oh so noble and wise and wishes for a better and stands united with his neighbour is quite romantic...ultimately, people are just people.