1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News B&B owner who turned away gay couple loses appeal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

B&B owner who turned away gay couple loses appeal | World news | guardian.co.uk

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes me laugh: "Because I am a Christian, I believe that monogamous heterosexual marriage is the form of partnership uniquely intended for sexual relations between persons and that homosexual relations – as opposed to homosexual orientation – and heterosexual relations outside marriage are wrong."

She still wouldn't let them share the bed even if they were married.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interestingly, if she had declined an unmarried straight couple (does she ask for a marriage license as proof of marriage?), they would have had no cause of action to bring a lawsuit since nothing in the law prohibits discriminating against an unmarried heterosexual couple. But since they were gay... they are a protected class.

It's sort of interesting. Here's a case where a gay couple actually has more rights than a hetero unmarried couple.

4. Beware Of You

I doubt she would though, I think she was looking for an excuse.

Anyway a married heterosexual couple could just lie!

5. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

In a sense I see that as sort of wrong. Everyone, regardless of whoever you are, should have the same rights as others. IMO there should be no "protected class" that is dominant over others. Everyone should be protected full stop.

6. Amerigo

why is it a 'swiss' b&b?

7. Dani3l

Positive discrimination. Not all double standards are bad.

8. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    As much as im in pro of gay rights i dont think this is good... I mean, as idiotic as the owner of the b and b ideology is, she should have the right to decides who goes in or not into her property. Stuff like this just make homophobic people more homophobic, she might even feel like a victim.

This is the equivalent to a jehova witness at a gay bar yelling out loud "REPENT SINNERS OR YOU WILL BE BURN IN HELL" you should have right to take that guy outside because the owner (and its clients) wont feel comfortable inside that bar.

Please never do something like that, use a more pacifist method of fighting, be firm but merciful, be more merciful than those who oppose you and you will win. Be better than them.

9. Gen

Gen

Under the grounds of this logical, business owners should be able to revert to segregation because non-whites make them feel 'icky'.

Removing a disruptive consumer is far from the same as discrimination. A business owner has a right to be uncomfortable with the inappropriate actions of those in their business. They do not have the legal right to be uncomfortable with the race or orientation of those they are doing business with.(At least not in this sense.)

Not to mention, this women refused them a room after prior commitments were already arranged. Regardless as to whether she was reprimanded for this discrimination, they could have still sued her simply for the inconvenience.

10. biggayguy

She turned her home into a business. The owner rented a room. What goes on in the room is not her business unless it's destructive, dangerous or excessively loud. It's just like renting a hotel room.

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Weird thing - when I was in HS in the late 90s, I went on a school-sponsored trip to New York during Spring Break. 4 students of the same sex in each room, only 2 beds each. Except for the time after we were confined to the hotel for the evening, and would gather in different people's rooms to do things like play cards, our rooms were only used for sleeping. (we had to be in the hotel building by a certain hour each night, and couldn't leave it until morning). I wonder what she would have said if she were working the front desk there. (there were about 80-90 students on the trip, IIRC)