1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News George W. Bush on Gay Marriage, Immigration, and Why Obama Kept His Terrorism Policie

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...rriage-why-obama-kept-his-terrorism-policies/

2. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: George W. Bush on Gay Marriage, Immigration, and Why Obama Kept His Terrorism Pol

People still care about what he has to say?

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: George W. Bush on Gay Marriage, Immigration, and Why Obama Kept His Terrorism Pol

I'm with Sister Eve on this. I have no particular interest in anything the former president has to say, except perhaps at a trial at the International Court of Justice.

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I know most of his 2nd term and the Patriot Act (or the lengths it went to and what it brought) were stupid as fuck, but as a Republican, this kind of thinking is why I didn't entirely oppose Republicans in the first place (I was still really young, and my father is pretty right-wing). He didn't try and make anti-gay bills that clearly went against the first amendment, he didn't try and attack any specific group in the United States. Yes, there's the whole "Illegal aliens" bullshit, but here that's clearly changed. Or for the most part, it has. I'm very glad to hear that he's for immigration reform, as it clearly needs to change.

The other part about Bush that I really like is that he knew he wasn't perfect, and he was very ready to admit that. Too many people, both left and right like to point fingers at each other and want to go against a certain group. He never really did that. As president, his main focus was on the safety of the country he was leading. True, he did go a bit far and went for Iraq from out of the blue, but after 9/11, he wasn't going to let his country die. He also wasn't going to focus on passing bills that are best to be focused on during times of peace, as is what seems to be happening now since Bin Laden is toast... Or more accurately put, fish food.

#4 Jinkies, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

How do you figure this, since he supported the Federal Marriage Amendment in 2004? Also, it doesn't matter that he never made anti-gay bills that went against the First Amendment. That legislation is all in violation of the Fourteenth Amendment. He clearly attacked us.

He intentionally played up on and profited from the animus against the whole LGBT community that was prevailing at the time. For him to now be saying things that can be ambiguously read as supportive now that the pools narrowly support him either indicates he's completely insincere or a moral coward.

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Given the jerks he put on the Supreme Court, and his overall record, I'm unmoved by his current lip-service. Aside from Reagan, he is the most despised president of my era.

Not to mention, via Karl Rove, he used the strategy of getting conservatives to the polls by having states put gay marriage bans on the ballots.

The man was and is a turd.

7. Tim

Tim

Erm... maybe I'm reading a different interview than others.

This interview makes it seem like he's telling people to stop being so rude to gay couples because their own life should matter more.

I'm actually surprised at what he said, to be honest.

8. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Okay, this part I didn't know about until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Still, it wasn't his #1 priority to get rid of the gays as many other Republicans would have wanted it to be (*coughHuckabeecough*), and said Republicans would have jumped even harder at the chance for the same bill.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely for Bush, as we all know he's made shitty decisions.

Or both.

9. Dave5432

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I doubt he cares much about polls since he's not running for anything anymore. I took what he said at face value and leave it at that. The whole crap about scaring people about gay marriage reminds me of the old-style Democrats who used to say if you didn't vote for them, Ford, Reagan or Bush was going to order that Social Security be abolished. Just trying to scare the hell out of their base so they'll vote.

I think it is dumb to have all these ballot initiatives on gay marriage. Who someone marries shouldn't be the business of government. They have real governing to do and this stuff just sidetracks that.

#9 Dave5432, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013
  10. Re: George W. Bush on Gay Marriage, Immigration, and Why Obama Kept His Terrorism Pol

he is not like mitt romeny
    not a staunchy homophobe

11. suninthesky

I think when anyone is in office, the party they run for really pushes certain views. If Bush would've supported LGBT people he would've lost support from the GOP. If, as some people are saying, he isn't running for much of anything anymore, then what he says now probably more accurately reflects his views. Regardless, it was a solid thing for him to say.

12. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Though I disagree with a decent amount of things Bush did, I like him as a person.

13. Emberstone

it is always easier to speak when you arent working on a relection campaign.

it was the reason I was shocked obama came out for marriage equality before the 2012 election; I was certain he would after the election had happened. presidents tend to be more restrained during their relections, but like Bush, Obama say it was more politically useful to come out in support of something traditional to his base (marriage equality) than it would be to wait, because it would rally the voters to vote for him.

bush used the threat of gayness to get conservatives to relect him, when conservatives were angry with him also for his abysmal first term. he needed a scapegoat.

14. The username

I'm not going to remenance about the past and think I will take Bush for what he is saying.

I think what this topic is interesting for is exactly what suninthesky is talking about. I wonder how many Republicans would support the "gay agenda" if the far right didn't scream anti-gay. The same goes for democrats, vice versa.