1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News INSIDE MOVIES Andrew Garfield on Spider-Man's sexuality: 'Why can't he be gay?'

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Dan82

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/07/10/andrew-garfield-spider-man-gay/

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Simply put, it's not canon. Stan Lee never intended Spiderman to be gay, clearly because he made Mary Jane and Peter Parker to be together. Plus, with all the crime-fighting, I'd find it hard for Spidey to focus on sexuality. There are thugs in the middle of the street, and the Green Goblin is about to blow up the nuclear plant. I think we've got bigger fish to fry.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Still it's nice that he's not just sticking to the world stereotypes. I like that he brought that up.

4. unknown17050

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    On paper it's good, and it is fairly cool and brings out a little boldness in the story, but I feel as if it is just being bold for the sake of being bold. I mean if it continued from something in the first movie that points to him being gay and in the closet, why not put some warning signs he might be in the first movie and not make it feel as if this came out of nowhere and make it feel more like a cop-out than Alan Scott's GL in Earth 2.

5. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing about the Amazing Spider-Man series (comics and all) is that it's all an allegory for puberty and self-discovery and exploration. Therefore it's entirely possible for this interpretation to be ok. I have to admit I was against the idea of changing MJ's character (I still kind of am...), but I actually think it would be incredible to have Spider-Man as gay or bisexual because it would do the series service. I kinda hope they won't change MJ's character, but I would not at all be opposed to them adding in a character for the sake of making this happen. It really would do the series service.

6. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Andrew Garfield playing a gay character?
    [​IMG]

7. ANightDude

If Stan Lee says it's okay, then I'll be fine. Until then, I'm "meh", as I'd rather they stick to the comics more than anything else.

But if they do decide to explore Peter's sexuality (and simply "explore", not necessarily make him full out gay) I'd be fine, as said before Spider-man is an allegory to puberty and coming of age. It wouldn't bother me, but I'm not on board unless Stan Lee gives us his blessing.

The article is written a bit oddly, but it seems like Garfield is sort of interested in the idea, or he likes to joke around with it a lot. Apparently he's mentioned it to Marc Webb a number of times and the producer. No, I don't it's going anywhere. I just found it a surprise Garfield was so passionate about it. Never even occurred to me.