1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Ireland's parliament approves 'life-saving' abortion

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lawmakers in the Republic of Ireland have voted to legalise abortion under certain conditions for the first time.

The move, approved by a 127-31 vote in the lower house (Dáil), would authorise a termination when doctors deem that a woman is at risk of taking her life. It needs upper house endorsement, too.

The vote follows the case of an Indian woman who died in hospital after she was refused an abortion.

The debate revealed deep splits in the predominantly Catholic country.

Opponents say the bill could lead to more widespread abortion.

The Dail voted 127-31 to allow a termination under certain conditions
    Anti-abortion campaigners say that the bill will allow the intentional killing of the unborn for the first time in the Republic of Ireland.

For them, it is not just a religious but a human rights issue as they believe that in any pregnancy the mother and foetus have equal rights to life.

Others argue the bill is too limited as it does not allow for terminations in cases of rape or incest, or when there is a foetal abnormality.

Nor does it allow for termination when the foetus cannot survive outside the womb.

Uncertainty
    Members of parliament (TDs) backed the proposal shortly after midnight, after two hotly debated sessions.

Anti-abortion activists want the law to remain unchanged
    Those who support access to abortion say the bill ignores the fact that, on average, 11 women leave the country every day for an abortion in Britain.

Since a Supreme Court ruling in 1992, known as the X case, abortion has been constitutionally available when a woman's life, as distinct from her health, is at risk from the continued pregnancy.

X was a suicidal 14-year-old schoolgirl who had been raped by a neighbour and was initially prevented from leaving the country for an abortion in Britain.

Since then, the credible threat of suicide is, constitutionally, regarded as grounds for a termination.

But in the intervening years, until now, no government has introduced legislation to give doctors legal certainty on when an abortion can be carried out.

Failures
    And that uncertainty provided part of the context for the Savita Halappanavar case.

She was a 31-year-old Indian dentist who was admitted to hospital in Galway in October 2012 while miscarrying.

Savita Halappanavar

She died a week later from septicaemia.

Her request for an abortion was turned down.

Her inquest heard that she could not get a termination at the time because her life was not in danger but, by the time her life was at risk, an abortion would have been too late to save her.

The Fine Gael-Labour coalition government says its proposed legislation will bring the law and constitution into line.

There have been consequences for TDs who did not support the changes proposed.

Fine Gael Junior Minister of State for European Affairs, Lucinda Creighton, voted against the government on the amendment. As a result, she was automatically expelled from the party.

She said she felt "deeply and strongly" that aspects of the bill were based on "flawed logic and absolutely zero medical evidence".

Last week, four other Fine Gael TDs, were removed from the party after they voted against the bill's first reading in the Dáil.

Sinn Féin TD Peadar Toibín also chose to vote against the amendment, which was supported by his party.

In a statement, Sinn Féin said all of its TDs had been "mandated" to vote for the legislation.

"The decision this evening by Peadar Toibín TD to vote against the Sinn Féin position is a serious breach of party rules," said Sinn Féin's party whip in the Dáil, Aengus Ó Snodaigh.

"As a consequence Peadar Toibín has been suspended from Sinn Féin for six months with immediate effect."

BBC News - Ireland's parliament approves 'life-saving' abortion

2. Stripe101

This was me when I first saw your post

[​IMG]

I got nervous... Then I read the article and found out it was fake.

[​IMG]

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's real :eusa_danc

4. justjade

I'm actually really glad this happened. In some cases, abortion does have to be performed to save the life of the mother. I'm behind this 100%! :thumbsup:

5. Eric

Good on Fine Gael for expelling dissenting MPs, and good on Sinn Fein's whip for suspending Toibim. The legislation is much too restricted, but it's a good first step.

6. Harve

What?

I can't believe 31 people voted against this. Just... how?

7. Eric

(I think that reply was meant for another thread)

8. Quaiv

F****** finally. I don't even know how the Catholic Church can have as much influence in this one country (I mean, their abortion laws are still worse than the Italian ones!).

9. Amerigo

i forgot ireland was even an independent functioning country where things happened. well done to them. pro-choice!

10. Stripe101

Yeah it was... I must have clicked on the wrong one.

11. Good on them? Absolutely not. I'm for abortion rights, but people have the right to vote with their conscience. By punishing people who vote as they feel they should, they make the party line the only thing that can be voted for and encourage a highly partisan system with little compromise. The votes of those punished were morally wrong, but it was an even worse wrong to punish a legislator for voting as they saw fit. Sinn Fein should be sanctioned for this.

#11 Cassindra Starlight, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2013
  12. justjade

Pro-choice! :thumbsup: