1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Trans* Women Arrested (And Detained) For No Reason - Greece

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by TheUglyBarnacle, Jul 13, 2013.

1. TheUglyBarnacle

Greece is Waging a Horrifying War On Transgender Women | Care2 Causes

Just thought this is worth sharing... If anyone here can share it more and help make it public (maybe actions will actually be taken then), I'd appreciate it.

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Religion Corrupted the Greek People.
    I feel sorry for the Transgender Ladies and Lads in greece.

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

:eek:

:icon_sad:

I don't even know what to say. It was bad down in Greece but it didn't hit me until I read this. My blood's literally boiling.

I'll do what I can to spread the news.

4. Icebox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought my life had enough stress and bigotry, until I read this. The fact that there's homophobia in the world is bad enough, but arbitrarily arresting people because they're transgender?! Greece needs to get a grip and realize that in most developed countries, people are accepted for who they are, not arrested just because they're a different sex than what's assigned on your birth certificate.

I feel so bad for these people. Stuff like this shouldn't happen, but it does anyway, because sometimes society can throw you in the dumpster.

5. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Greece is super homophobic/transphobic. So not really a surprise.

6. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

WTF... That's mest up,

7. Mohammad

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  8. BiBi

BiBi Guest

I already hate Greece for doing this, but when I read that they told them to "turn back to normal" I just lost it there and thought to myself, "I'm never going to Greece.".

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't say that a god-forsaken political party is reason enough to write off such a rich land as Greece, but yeah they need to get their shit together before I'd consider going also.

10. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why Grecian society is so homophobic anyway. It's a well known fact that in ancient Greece homosexuality was very common, especially among philosophers and war heroes. LGBT issues are a part of their history, so you'd think they'd be one of the most accepting places.

11. Mohammad

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's also a well known fact that Greece was for a long time the centerpiece of the heavily catholic Byzantine Empire, over which the Pope ruled supreme.

Ancient Egypt was also very accepting of LGBT relationships as well (there are paintings of gay orgies in some of the old cities lol), but then came the (Christian) Greek and later Muslim conquests - both with religions at their had which believed that homosexuality was akin to being a part of a satanist cult.

12. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    "It was the transgender people who caused the entire collapse of the world and money and taxes and money, lock them away!"

Fascism is almost like a game of Blankety Blank, just take out certain words and you could have all sorts of options. Sad to see fascism on the rise in Europe, especially when we're looked to in the cases of rational sane open-minded political debates. :frowning2:

13. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Not the easiest life to have, being trans, it's sick when people are immediately disgusted at our presence, even more so when the police aren't there to help. Female to Male Transsexuals don't have it as bad as Male to Female Transsexuals. If I wear masculine clothes "she's fighting female stereotypes, she's a feminist" if my girlfriend wears a skirt "some perverted guy in a skirt". It's not equal. It's not fair.

-Charlie

14. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, feel like crying now. :frowning2:

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, there's the Golden Dawn in Greece, which is a fascist movement and has a lot more sympathy with the people than it deserves.

One of the things they said what "after the immigrants, you're next." The "you're" in this is referring to us, the queer community.

16. Hun

Hun

Umm... not to sound pretentious, but the (Eastern) Roman Empire was not Catholic. At all. The Romanoi were heavily Greek Orthodox, and the Pope had little to no influence on them.

17. Beware Of You

It chillingly echos this poem from Nazi Germany

People should NEVER forget the mistakes of the past, they should remember the pain and suffering to millions facism has cost Europe (even the Greeks). Golden Dawn are a worry to the West, they are influencing a resurgence of the far right Europe wide (Including the UK) .

If I was LGBT and lived in a certain part of Greece then I would be terrified.