Empty Closets Coming Out Resources and a Safe Place to Chat
Welcome Forum Chat Room Resources News Members

Go Back   Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out > General Chat > Current Events, World News, & LGBT News

Current Events, World News, & LGBT News A news forum for posting and discussing news topics regarding the latest breaking news, stories from around the world, and any LGBT related news updates that you and others may find interesting.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15th Jul 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
Fill with fire, exhale desire
Admin Assistant

Orientation: Bisexual/Pansexual, but I usually just say queer.
Out Status: No longer lurking in the shadows.

Tournaments Won: 4

Default Ex-gay pride month cancelled (and maybe rescheduled) due to "Anti-ex-gay extremism"

This is from the website "Voices of the Voiceless" which is a group for "former homosexuals, individuals with unwanted same-sex attractions and their families" (Just thought that I would give a heads up)

Quote:
Due to some anti-ex-gay extremism that has occurred since we first announced Ex-Gay Pride 2013, the July 31 Lobbying Day on Capitol Hill and Evening Dinner/Reception at the Family Research Council has had to be moved and postponed to an undisclosed location in September. The harassment has caused several security threats which has forced us to change plans, and that is unfortunate. However, we are committed to holding an alternate event in late July as well as supporting some other initiatives that our allies and fellow ex-gays are planning for July. These events are still in development and will not be announced until late next week. For all of our supporters that have made travel plans to attend the July 31 event, we sincerely apologize for having to change plans, but we thought it was in the best interest to ensure the safety and security of all participants and speakers.
More here Ex-Gay Pride Still Alive Despite Anti-Ex-Gay Extremism Voice of the Voiceless

Here's Truth Wins Out's take on this story

Quote:
Truth Wins Out laughed today at the cancellation of “Ex-Gay Pride Month 2013” by the newly formed group, Voice of the Voiceless (VOV), which announced it was putting the kybosh on a fancy gala it had planned with the Family Research Council on July 31st. The event had sought to portray “ex-gays” as victims and had invited Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-MN, and other members of Congress to attend the benefit.

“There was never going to be an actual ‘Ex-gay Pride Month’ because ex-gays are as rare as the Dodo bird,” said Truth Wins Out’s Executive Director Wayne Besen. “They simply could not find real ‘ex-gays’ to participate and had to cancel to save face. This was nothing but a desperate publicity stunt intended to revive a failing industry that has repeatedly embarrassed anti-gay organizations.”
More here

Anybody want to take bets as to if this event ever happens...lol.

BradTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
EC Addict

Orientation: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Out Status: Out to everyone

Default Re: Ex-gay pride month cancelled (and maybe rescheduled) due to "Anti-ex-gay extremis

LOL. That's all.
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2013, 11:31 PM   #3
ptacub

Tournaments Won: 43

Default Re: Ex-gay pride month cancelled (and maybe rescheduled) due to "Anti-ex-gay extremis

I laughed at this, really. Wayne Besen is correct: It is just a publicity stunt. As the fight for our rights continues, these anti-gay, "family-orientated" organisations look crazier and crazier. And considering most "ex-gays" do end up coming out and abandoning these organisations' brainwashing, VOV is really just trying to revive something that is gasping for its last breath of air.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 12:23 AM   #4
Militant Homosexual

Orientation: I like guys <3

Awwwwww such a shame, what is "Anti-Ex-Gay extremism" anyway ? Is this gay pride or something?
Beware Of You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 04:11 AM   #5
♫ We've come too far to give up who we are ♫

Orientation: Paromantic (love all) androsexual (lust for men)
Out Status: Sexuality: entirely out. Gender: Facebook friends.

If it truly was due to "several security threats", that's unfortunate, in part because no one should threaten anyone unless it's in defense, but mostly because it gives them a legitimate reason to feel like the victims. But I wouldn't be surprised if those security threats are like ex-gays themselves.
Its not about forcing happiness; its about not letting the sadness win. ♫
-The Wonder Years, "Local Man Ruins Everything"
Owen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 06:06 AM   #6

Orientation: Gay
Out Status: Brother, Mum and some friends

Quote:
Truth Wins Out laughed today at the cancellation of Ex-Gay Pride Month 2013 by the newly formed group, Voice of the Voiceless (VOV), which announced it was putting the kybosh on a fancy gala it had planned with the Family Research Council on July 31st. The event had sought to portray ex-gays as victims and had invited Rep. Michele Bachmann, R-MN, and other members of Congress to attend the benefit
But they truly are victims! And we should do everything to help them.
They are victims of their so called "doctors" and "psychologists" (or psychiatrists? I always mix them up).
They are victims of their families and "friends" that coax and press them into the hands of said "doctors".
They are victims of society that often has a problem with everybody different and prepares the breeding-ground for hate and allows this kind of treatment.
And first and foremost they are victims of themselves, their self-hate, fear and insecurity.

To all the "ex-gays" out there: I include you in my prayers (even when I'm an atheist)
Old 16th Jul 2013, 06:15 AM   #7
EC Addict

Out Status: I no longer hide it

All of these anti-gay antics just kind of makes me, even more so than in the past, believe that religion exists to "control the masses." These people just want to control laws and how people act in society. If you have a personal religion and are strong in that faith, why do care about equality for others when it doesn't affect your religion or take it away from you?

These people are just angry that society is becoming more and more equal and they are desperate to get their footing back, even if it is through something like an ex-gay pride parade. I research their website and they say they advocate for ex-gays rights, well, what rights are they being denied if they're truly "ex-gay." Even people on their website admitted they still are attracted to the same-sex, just don't act on it.
Incognito10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Imperial Gnerd Army

Orientation: Androsexual
Out Status: You must construct additional pylons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Of You View Post
Awwwwww such a shame, what is "Anti-Ex-Gay extremism" anyway ? Is this gay pride or something?
I think that's just us posting on EC.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
TheLovelyAudrey

Tournaments Won: 43

if indeed violet threats that crosses the line and makes the LGBTQ community looks hateful.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 07:02 PM   #10
These Lips Are Sealed

Orientation: Gay.Asexual i.e. not interested in sexual intimacy

It's almost pitiable. Almost.
Old 16th Jul 2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Fraternal Order of the Daleks

Out Status: Some people

An "Ex-gay" pride month would be like making the unicorn the national bird...
2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2013, 08:10 PM   #12
EC Regular

Out Status: People likely assume

I certainly hope that GLBT people know better than to partake in harassment and cause security threats, especially to such an obviously bullshit group. Of course their own people could have made such threats to support their story or it's all just a bunch of lies as usual with them. That's all they do is lie.

The truth is they didn't have enough people signed up to attend so it would have been an amazing spectacle of failure for us to see courtesy of the covert TWO operatives who likely comprised half of their confirmed attendees. Maybe Bachman's husband was going to attend and they just knew he'd blow their claim of "ex-gay"!
Old 16th Jul 2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Flappychap

unsubstantiated violent threats. they claim these threats all the time, but never take legal action against the people doing them... because the threats dont actually exist.
Old 17th Jul 2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Hyper 'lil Imp!

Out Status: Out & About

What a laugh. Gay people and many other groups get threats all the time, and still hold events in DC. Almost every day, some or other group is doing something there . It's not as if the central parts of DC aren't swarming with undercover security, and merely left to chance.

Oh, well...and here I was, about to head down on the Metro, and take photos!

Dude! No way! I'm not gonna lick your moonboots!
HuskyPup is offline   Reply With Quote