1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay Activist in Cameroon Tortured and Killed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sad news from Cameroon:

Eric Ohena Lembembe, Gay Rights Activist, Tortured And Killed

2. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    #Humanity,I have fate in it.

3. Amerigo

R.I.P. brother

4. Candace

:frowning2:....This is so saddening to hear. I know some Cameroonians myself, so I will bring this to their attention.

5. BadCanadaJoke

it's stories like this that make me think that we should all come out and be loud about it. Not in a queen with a unihorn on our heads loud,but activist loud.

The people's minds must change. We can't let all these people's lives be in vain. society must change and who' gonna do it if not us? How many kids will have to be tortured and bullied to death before change is made? Just how many?

6. Amerigo

i agree to an extent, i've even heard members of the heterosexual community question why gays remain in hiding. but it's mainly out of fear that people choose not to be "out and proud". some people fear their governments, some people fear their families. we have to think of ourselves primarily, it'd be foolish to waltz into a minefield - which is what coming out is like for some people - after all we're not all destined to be martyrs. this poor man sacrificed his life in the name of truth, but ultimately, he lost his life. it raises the question - which is more important, truth of life?

7. BadCanadaJoke

I agree with you. Not everyone can be be an activist especially on an issue where people get killed for it. What I believe is that people who have already come out should speak out. In no way did I mean that a kid who lives in Saudi Arabia or Nigeria or who comes from a super religious house like James Borges did should come out for this reason.

It should just be something with which more of us should get down with. Educate our friends and family and tell them that even making gay jokes isn't funny. Like colored people in the past,we are too being killed for who we are. It's not funny. Change can't come with masses,everyone little by little should change.

If we can't be on TV,or on the street the least we can do is educate the people we meet. That's activism too right?

---------- Post added 18th Jul 2013 at 06:09 PM ----------

Also,speaking the truth can save lives.And it does everyday.

8. Amerigo

of course, activism comes in all forms. especially in today's world it's so easy for one to educate oneself! and yet people chose not to for the most part. so those who are able should persist in doing their duty, that is, be the voice for those who do not (have a voice).

9. BadCanadaJoke

True:slight_smile: