1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Kara Hays, Transgender Celebrity Look-Alike Responds to Media Coverage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EscapeArtist, Jul 19, 2013.

1. EscapeArtist

As someone who felt uninformed about transgender issues I felt obligated to do some reading. Among the countless piles of articles I found this. A story illuminating one woman's transition to her true identity-and the media's twisted unforgiving scrutiny of her experience. I can't even tolerate the media long enough to watch the evening news, much less their take on such a personal issue.

Thoughts and experiences?
    (*hug*)

Full Article> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...3621.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular#slide=875138

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being a member of the media, from reading this I feel it paints the media in a bad light. Though same time there are certain media outlets *cough* FOX *cough* who tend to take an over-the-top edge. But reading the whole article, reading the linked articles, I'm sorry but it sounds like she's trying to say "they all lied about me" when in the one article by the NY Daily News they even quote her saying she felt it a compliment that some thought she looked like Brit because Brit helped her through depression. I'll agree, the lead in the NYDN article does pretty much make it sound like she wanted to look like Brit but they do go on to quote her saying she never had intention to LOOK like a celeb. I don't know, I realize this is going to be a bit bias given I'm in the media but since I'm also only entering said world now...I haven't really gotten enough of the biases of said media world. I'll agree the media did some bad notes on their part but I don't think it's right she's blaming the media for things too.

#2 Revan, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. EscapeArtist

I don't think she's blaming anymore. Rather, re-stating her communicable intentions. I am a journalism enthusiast myself, but there is no denying the human flaw that is misunderstanding. I think the point of this article is that she did have surgery, but her intention was not to look like a specific celebrity. Meanwhile, I detested the post bc it appears the publisher's were simply fishing for a headline. What kind of media are you involved with? Also, I think its a given that certain News Broadcasts are politically bias. i.e CNN, FOX etcetc.

4. sguyc

If you want an example of how vicious the trans heirarchy can be go read the last two comments by purple woman.

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Are Purple Woman's opinions really that common within the trans community? (Although she denies the existence of said community)

I went to her blog link, and apparently in her view, true transsexuals are just normal parts of the "mainstream, cisgendered" community who are merely correcting a birth defect by modifying their bodies, not connected to the freaks in the LGBT community at all, including transgenders.

And there is evidently an insidious plot against transsexual people by transgender people, who don't really need surgery and are basically lying about their true nature.

In the comments you mention, she describes a transgender man as "a man in drag who decided to mutilate himself" and "a man living as a woman all the time while having a male inner nature".

I wonder, where she came up with such views, and why she believes what she does. And what she hopes to achieve by spreading these views.

6. Sinopaa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, they're not. Every group has their extremists which make the rest of us look bad. I've talked to plenty of Transsexuals like myself who openly embrace everyone under the T as equals. So there isn't some hierarchy; there's just really vocal pockets of idiots. It's the same BS elitist mentality of people who claim to be better due to being a "gold star gay" or "womyn born womyn".

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Her definitions of "transgender" and "transexual" are both wrong and completely twisted.

In her mind:

Transgender = gender-variant Male who pretends he's a woman

Transexual = Transwoman.

In reality:

Transgender = denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

Transexual = a person who strongly identifies with the opposite sex and may seek to live as a member of this sex especially by undergoing surgery and hormone therapy to obtain the necessary physical appearance (as by changing the external sex organs)

As for the OP, this is partially why I've decided to go into the media. I'd still be doing what I'm doing because I have a huge passion for it, but too many people are influenced by something that's very ignorant and clueless on things that are true.

#7 Jinkies, Sep 7, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. EscapeArtist

9. sguyc

She hopes to validate her identity as a "true" woman clearly different from all those men who keep their penises, ect, ect. At least with sexuality if you like dick your gay and no ond questions it.

---------- Post added 12th Sep 2013 at 08:45 PM ----------

Most take transgender to be an umbrella term, meaning that transexuals are also transgender.

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ Yes, and that's how the definitions work. What I'm saying is that she's not acknowledging that at all, and saying that those who are "transgender" are people who should be shunned because she thinks they are men only trying to be women for their own personal gain.

She's saying that only people with penises are transgender, and should never think they are women, but those with a vagina are fully free to undergo surgery if they feel that they are men because they're "transsexual" and those are the only "true" transsexuals.

11. Just Jess

I think the way I put it to a friend of mine a while ago, if someone says "true transsexual" (they don't say that literally, but whenever someone's implying that they are one or are basically saying that in so many words) they mean someone who has done whatever they happen to have done at the moment. For some it's hormones, for some it's surgery, for some it's full time, for some in the year two thousand thirteen it's even a straight relationship.

When in reality the medical options for people like me have been around for 70 years or so. And there were trans people in ancient Greece.