1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Enigma codebreaker Alan Turing to be given posthumous pardon

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

This is great news, but this should never have happened in the first place. Looks like they may have to give a pardon to EVERYONE who was convicted under "buggary" laws

Enigma codebreaker Alan Turing to be given posthumous pardon | UK news | The Guardian

2. Foxface

I don't know if this makes me happy or angry...I really don't

We chemically castrated you...told you that you weren't worth anything to us and you took your life. So I hope we're all cool now

no offense to anyone...but that's how it feels to me now

Like a big Oops

Foxface

3. Ridiculous

The alternative is to not do anything, which would be worse.

4. Beware Of You

I think they should all have one. I go to the same college as Oscar Wilde he had a similar fate, a great man ruined by these fowl laws, he is as deserving of a pardon as Turing isn't he.

I get your point, its like saying "Oh sorry for killing him, I didn't know at the time it was wrong but I am sorry and we can now go on"

#4 Beware Of You, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  5. qboy

Shame it's taken so long though - it means that those who were convicted prior the decriminalisation (of homosexuality in England and Wales) and above the current age of consent are at least 62 years old - 67 if you take the original age of consent - that means that anyone convicted will have had the whole of there working life with a criminal record depriving them of employment opportunities and such like.

With these posthumous pardons and delayed apologies (not just this but any of them - e.g. Gordon Brown apologising for the UK's role in sending tens of thousands of children to former colonies where they suffered terrible abuse) I'm always in two minds though - on the one hand it's making a clear statement that what we did in the past is no longer acceptable and won't be tolerated in the future and that as a civilised society we recognise that is something we no longer want our country associated with. On the other hand it's a hollow apology as the live(s) have already been ruined and the people who implemented such legislation are either long since dead or outside the sphere of influence.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is great news & a triumph for campaigners like Stephen Hawking who have led this campaign, I am so pleased for Alan's Family, Oscar Wilde's Family & all the other Families of Men wrongly convicted under those Draconian Laws :slight_smile:

It is just a shame that you can't be awarded a posthumous knighthood, that would have been great, but that is another ongoing Campaign that people are trying to bring about :slight_smile:

7. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is good to recognize how very wrong the laws were, but so very sad that it can't change all the torment the victims endured.