1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Prince has a penis

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Robert, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it wrong to assign a gender to a child so publicly and only hours after its been born?

#1 Robert, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they're in the public eye? No. It is what it is and we just have to get over it. Nice subject title though.

3. photoguy93

Well, seeing as he won't become the "Supreme Ruler" then yes, we do. What's wrong with saying it's a boy? It is, in fact, a boy. There is a penis. I don't think there's anything wrong with stating the obvious.

4. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's more of an announcement of sex than gender.
    While I doubt there will be any distinction between the two in the future of the child, saying it's a boy is just saying it's a boy.

5. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That doesn't actually mean anything when it comes to gender, but I see where you're coming from. It's highly likely that the kid is a boy. We live in a world which largely defines gender and sex as being the same, regardless of what they actually are. Until then, people are gonna go with what they know and react like this. Perhaps one day things will work different, but until then, that's how things are.

6. Hexagon

Sometimes, I wish we as a society could move beyond gender. But no one else is going to stop calling themselves men and women, so I don't know why we should start with some random rich kid.

7. Amerigo

perhaps the prince has a vagina and has expressed his desire to continue life as a male, though highly unlikely

8. LateNightWolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's unfair to assign a kid a gender at birth, but we live in a world that thrives on labels. And of course since they're royal there's going to be a big celebration for the kids birth.

9. Fiddledeedee

People are embarrassed by the word "penis", it seems, and consider it much more appropriate to make assumptions about gender than to dare discuss *gasp* a part of the reproductive and digestive systems which we all know about.

10. Yohoshi2013

Yohoshi2013 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it's a boy, he has a penis, he's a prince, and England is too obssessed with their royalty, like their the only damn country with royalty. He wont be king for a long time so, who gives a duffle bag?

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, it's not just some random rich kid. Yes, he's rich. But it's obvious it's not all that random, since he's fucking royalty.

And actually, there are lots of people that just simply don't know that sex and gender are 2 different things. They're not hateful, they just simply don't know that there is a difference. They think that they're just 2 words for the same thing. If we did start off with this rich kid and it turns out he's transgender, then that'll at least spark the idea of sex and gender being different things in loads of people's minds.

And don't take that as "Let's push to make sure he's trans" no. If he's trans, then he's trans. If he's cis, then so be it. His gender is his gender, not what other people make it out to be. Even if that's the entire UK.

#11 Jinkies, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  12. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :roflmao:

In all seriousness, I'm going to disagree with Hexagon.
    Yes, there's a chance the royal baby will actually be transgender, in which case she would be unhappy.
    But there's like a .3% chance that he'll be anything but cisgender.
    Maybe you think it's silly to stereotype a kid based on what's between his/her legs.
    But those genitalia do produce different hormones. And to be honest, I'd rather be raised as a particular gender than like this: The ‘genderless baby’ who caused a Storm of controversy in 2011 | Toronto Star
    Maybe not in an ideal world. But in the binary world we have, gender stereotyping based on what's between your legs causes the least emotional pain overall possible.

13. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It was born a boy, thus boy. Until he becomes smart enough to say different.

14. Night

Night Guest

What?

He has a penis. Obviously he's a boy.

15. ScatteredEarth

I can only see this be very minutely bothering to the transgender people. They shouldn't take offense to it. After all, he does have a penis. So for now, let's call him a boy unless/until he says differently.

16. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [YOUTUBE]C-zGe6zRL3M[/YOUTUBE]

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay. Let me point this out.

We understand where the whole "He's a boy" thing comes from. But those of us that have said not to assume are coming from personal experience. As I've said before, there's a difference between gender and sex. What people are saying to "There's a penis, so it MUST be a boy" are actually referring to his sex. His gender, however, could be different. Mentally, he could be a boy, girl, something in between or something that doesn't fit there at all. He may not even have a gender.

This is also the exact reason why under our avatars, it's "Gender" instead of "Sex" It's not because we feel the need to censor ourselves. It's because there is a distinct difference between gender and sex.

18. miaclaire

Out Status:
    Some people
    i think it's acceptable. also this [​IMG]

19. suninthesky

After going through the pain of being raised in the wrong gender, I have to disagree. I would've rather been raised genderless even if it meant being different than other people.

20. Tim

Tim

I wrote up a huge post, but figured SOMEONE would take offense to it, so I'm not posting it.

In short: No, there is nothing wrong with assigning the prince a sex. He has a penis. If, when growing up, he realizes he doesn't identify as male, that's fine. But he's a newborn baby. They don't even know what the hell a gender is at this point.

For legal reasons, and just in general people need to know what to refer to their baby as, all babies are given a gender. I'm sorry, but if I were raised genderless and referred to as it or they, I'd probably have zero care for my family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.