1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Petition calls for British boycott of Russian Winter Olympics because of anti-gay law

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

#1 Beware Of You, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  2. ScatteredEarth

Re: Petition calls for British boycott of Russian Winter Olympics because of anti-gay

Why vote on something we ALREADY know is gonna happen? Seems pointless to me.

3. Wells

Wells Guest

Re: Petition calls for British boycott of Russian Winter Olympics because of anti-gay

The UK's doin' what?

4. Harve

On the other hand, Russia are also protecting Edward Snowden, so swings and roundabouts really!

5. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
  6. Tim

Tim

Any LGBT athlete is subject to being beaten (by Russian law), arrested, fined, AND deported just for being LGBT.

It's not about politics. It's about the fact LGBT athletes and spectators are not safe with the current laws in place.

7. Munyal

I agree about not boycotting the Olympics, but I also think that the Olympic park and whatever city it is in should be a safe place for everyone during the Olympics, and Russia is not currently a safe place. Maybe the games could be held somwhere where they have been held before? Like Innsbruck. They already held it twice, and it is not extremely far away.

8. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

petitions are liberal bullshit
    the games should not happen, i dont care abt some athletes dreams or w/e

9. Cthulhu

If that actually happens, then there will be hell to pay.

10. KiddlesP

I currently doubt that a boycott would be successful.

Having said that I would hope that agreements are made that athletes/tourists will not be harmed during this global event. I do not believe Russians want a scene like that to take place, however they may also have a greater mentality of independent strength.

11. 2112

People are already getting arrested, I don't think it's safe for them. But a boycott won't change anything in this situation and it would be unfair to the athletes. I think it should be moved to another country, not canceled or boycotted.

12. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Given what's just happened and as I said in the other thread...I don't think we have a choice anymore. I want athletes to be given a chance to reach their dreams but with this all happening, I think every country should boycott the Olympics in Russia and movie it somewhere else.

13. timo

I don't believe Russia is stupid enough to actually arrest LGBT athletes from foreign countries. It would be political suicide.

On the other hand, it's still Russia and I wouldn't be surprised if they will.

Bolded part is, logistically speaking, impossible. As much as I'd love to see a move happen, hosting the Olympics takes so much preparation you can't just move it. Unfortunately.

#13 timo, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  14. Harve

If nothing was done about America's and the UK's war crimes a decade ago then nothing will be done about a country that has a near-equal international presence.

15. Aquilo

I think the Olympics should be boycotted and the Olympic board (or whatever it's called) should be sacked/reformed. They organise their games in all kind of dictatorships and countries which don't have the money and on top extort those countries for privileges...

I like the idea about the Olympics, but they should reduce costs or maybe even stay in one place. It's not like all those <1960 games bankrupted countries, why can't they do that again and be little bit more ethical instead of being so currupt and immoral? It is possible: Austerity games.

16. Harve

That reminds me of when the 2018 Winter Olympics were announced to be in Pyeongchang, 'Korea', and I immediately thought they'd gone mad and trusted Pyongyang, North Korea to fund and host them (and I wondered why no-one had made a fuss about it). Thank god it turns out there's a place with a similar name south of the border!

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'm having no part of these stupid games. I say boycott them. The poor athletes can compete later. Boo hoo.

After all, this is merely a contest to see which countries can spend the most money to train the so-called best athletes---a bunch of chest-thumping, nationalistic bragging and a massive display of ego.

A truly stupid event which has veered far from the spirit of sportsmanship, and has become merely another commodity; a waste of time, money and energy.

18. blueberrymuffin

The winter olympics bores me to tears anyway, so it will be little sacrifice to not watch. Still, the simple and correct thing to do in my view is to just move it and ban team russia for good measure.

19. Tim

Tim

20. Emberstone

While I understand the sentiment, and agree with it, I hate to say it, but olympic boycotts never work. they have been tried many times, and it doesnt bring change. Infact, if I remeber correctly, this will not even be the first time a russian olympics boycott has been attempted. I think jmmy carter tried one against the USSR. it changed nothing in the end, and russia knows that. they arent going to be swayed by it.