1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Boycott on Russian vodka

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by suninthesky, Jul 27, 2013.

1. suninthesky

Boycott of Russian vodkas over anti-gay laws gains steam | www.ktvu.com

2. Hexagon

Seems like a good move to me. I'll remember not to buy russian vodka. :slight_smile:

3. suninthesky

I'm not sure where I stand on this.. apparently the CEO of the company supports LGBT people, and since the government is not affiliated with the company. But I can understand the symbolic effort.

4. Tim

Tim

I'm not quite sure I agree with the boycott.

They're punishing company owners and workers who rely on those sales for their livelyhood over in Russia.

Punishing the citizens/etc. over something their government did is pretty stupid, and in a way, makes the people boycotting no better than the government. Only they're discriminating against Russian citizens rather than LGBT.

5. person54

I'm kinda against it. [​IMG]

They came out with that after Russia passed it's recent anti lgbt laws. I think if anything we should be listening to Russians about how we should help since they know their situation best and most of the articles I've read report that russians don't think it will be effective.

6. ScatteredEarth

It's not much, but it's something I suppose. We shouldn't be banning products that support the cause for sexual freedom. We should be focused more on the things that truly impact Russia's decisions. Taking a vodka bottle off the shelves of bars doesn't really effect Russia in any way.

7. Hexagon

Well in that case, I was wrong. I will buy russian vodka when I start drinking again. If its cheap enough, that is.

But I'd still support some kind of action. Right now, the russian government thinks it get away with abusing people's rights like this, but well, it would be nice to show them they can't.

8. Hun

Hun

Boycotting Russian vodka wouldn't do much, especially since they're not funded by the government and some of the companies are pro-LGBT. It's unfair to punish those companies based on the actions of their government.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Actions speak louder than words :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  11. WeirdnessMagnet

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It did something actually, - that is, it forced the Stoli CEO to come out in support. He might or might not have done this anyway, and yes, the boycott is probably pointless after that, but it's something.

Anyway, my general thought is that much of the current Russian insanity is about the shame over 1990s, and attempts of the real culprits to redirect it to someone, anyone else with the usual list of targets: gays, foreigners, minorities... And the only antidote to that is to show that NO, gays (or anyone else on the real culprits' hitlist) didn't destroy USSR's (relative) prosperity, and bashing them would only add another shameful page to the Russian history.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Our Russian Brother & Sisters are putting their lives on the line for Gay Rights in Russia, my support is with them all of the way :newcolor::newcolor::newcolor: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

[​IMG]

13. MrBrightside

I think it is a good idea. Never actually heard of Stoli vodka (and im a heavy drinker) but ill boycott smirnoff and russia standard.

I think if russian products are boycotted it will force the russian government to stop and think. Their economy isnt the strongest and i think CEOs and oligarks do still have power over the government, even if less than in the past. If Putin sees these policies as boosting his electoral chances, the damage to their exports will surely reverse any gain he stands to achieve (considering the economy is the most important factor in most elections worldwide).

14. Stripe101

Remind me not to buy any :rolle:

15. OhSOCurious

I'm not old enough to drink legally, but I'm also stereotypically Russian and I enjoy vodka. Although I do enjoy Russian vodka... I won't get any. Swedish vodka is too sharp >.< not smooth at all. But I guess I can wet my whiskers with something else :wink:

16. Hun

Hun

Smirnoff has its origins in Russia, but it's anything but a Russian vodka now. For one thing, it's owned by a British company. For another, Smirnoff is distilled in India, Italy, the US, and the UK, just to name a few places.

17. MrBrightside

You learn something new every day!

Ill stick to Glens either way, cheapest and scottish :slight_smile:

18. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't even drink but I really don't see how the boycott will work. It affects no one but the companies themselves...what is it going to do politics wise?

19. I'm Russian, and the whole news of what Russia's done is disappointing. But I'm not sure about the boycott. Should there be a boycott of something concerning Russia? Yes. But will this vodka boycott be effective? Probably not. I know I'm not going back to Russia (been 4 times) anytime soon. I think that not being a tourist there will hurt them enough.

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If Europe (and the world) really, really wanted to hurt them, a boycott of natural gas would be fun.

Though one would have to prepare for global prices to soar...perhaps this would be a good time to move away from fossil fuels, and punish Russia's oligarchs at the same time. After all, this latest round of bluster and bravado is made possibly wealth derived from these energy sources.

But for a boycott to hurt the government, one needs to boycott things that the government has a hand in, and that are major revenue sources. I'd imagine arms are another.