1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Dozens Of Gay Men Brutally Beaten In Haiti

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by paperyostrich, Jul 31, 2013.

1. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This comes no more than a week after the same group of people decided that they would BURN down the Haiti Parliament if anything pro-gay was passed...Ever

Haiti gangs beat 47 gays with machetes, sticks and cement blocks

Dozens of gay men were beaten by gangs with knives, machetes, cement blocks, sticks and iron bars in Haiti, GSN can reveal.

Human rights campaigners in the Caribbean nation say they know of 47 assaults in just one week (17 to 24 July), though attacks have slowed in recent days following government intervention.

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/h....b2OLbWEQ.dpuf

2. Beware Of You

Haiti has had a problem with homophobia ever since the Evangelicals blamed the earthquake that devastated the country on Gods wrath due to homosexuals.

3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hatians are not the nicest people,atleast in my own personal experience.

4. My goodness, what an uncivilized event. I hope that all those attacked recover quickly and are able to leave that f***ed up country.

5. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Maybe they did deserve the earthquake, not from a god, but from Karma. Stop being such assholes.. Sheesh.

6. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's been legal there since 1986, so it's not like the gays are breaking the law... However, the church has a massive influence over there on the people, and the values of the Haitian's reflect that in a number of ways.

They threatened to burn the government if they legalised SSM, which the government (one of the best the country has has IMO) were thinking of doing.

If they could do it in Uruguay in the face of the church, the Haiti could ride out this storm as well

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Eh, Haiti and Uruguay aren't much alike.

Uruguay is a stable South American nation that is 90% white, it's culture mostly European, and has a GDP per capita of $16,334.

While Haiti is an unstable impoverished Caribbean nation 95% black and with a GDP per capita of only $758.

Haiti also has 3 times the population of Uruguay, despite Uruguay being nearly 7 times larger in size.

So Haiti is incredibly poor and overcrowded, one of the worst places on earth in which to live. (Which is why many Haitians, especially gay Haitians, immigrate to the United States)

Homophobia, and demonization of minorities more generally, thrives in those kinds of environments. People need a scapegoat for their problems.

Note that gay rights are strongest in wealthy European nations; poverty and suffering breed division and anger. All the countries where homophobia thrives (e.g. Russia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, etc.) are countries with severe social and economic problems.

8. UndercoverGypsy

Ugh, at this point I'd be so happy to be able to say I'm shocked and pissed off.

9. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ahahaha, don't worry, I'm more than aware than all the problems that Haiti faces.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Since the old, earthquake era president was elected out of office, the country has been going through a renaissance in terms of how it operates. The country is going through a speedy reconstruction (I have seen it myself) and the country is politically stable for the first time since at least the 1970's.

In regards to the church, I was alluding to the idea that Uruguay faced very, very strong opposition from the religious organisations when it intentionalised to legalise gay marriage earlier this year. The Uruguayan government managed to overcome the opposition and do what was right. I believe Haiti could do the same if they put their mind to it, and not let themselves get bossed around the religious supreme. It's a similar story in Malawi, (bar the gay marriage bit)

Haiti today is going through a transformation, and to me, the government want to change the social climate of the country as well, but it seems to be failing

10. misunfortunate

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    :frowning2: I hate hate. I can't wait until there's no intolerance left.