1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Why Russia turned against the gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ANightDude, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ANightDude

Why Russia Turned Against The Gays

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes a lot of sense and is consistent with what I have heard from those who support these laws. As someone who grew up with the menace of the (anti-religious) Soviets during the cold war, it was rather weird hearing some Russian talking about the Orthodox church being the driving force behind this.

The article answers a lot of questions about this peculiar stance.

3. silkfrog1292

“I think the most ridiculous questions come up during the decay of an empire,” said Anton Krasovsky, a prominent Russian journalist recently fired for being gay, when asked why the “gay question” had suddenly emerged in Russia. “It’s like when Judeo-Christians were fed to the lions in third-century Rome — it’s just the sunset of the empire.”

--- One of the most truthful statements I've read about the "Russian Issue". An intolerant nation is one which is scared of itself, for other than fear it has nothing left which to shape it's identity.

4. blueberrymuffin

There has been an exodus of educated people out of Russia and i expect that to continue. What use is a heavily populated nation of bigots?

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The US appears to have its problems, but I am thankful that we are not feeding any particular group to the lions because we are in our twilight years. Russia might have some more serious upheavals pretty soon. :/

6. Beware Of You

I do agree that Russia is an empire at the risk of collapsing. Putin needs a scapegoat, this sadly is the LGBT community.

7. diegohrz

I think it is sad. Russia was already pretty conservative, so I think this is a HUGE step backwards for an otherwise civilized country...

8. blueberrymuffin

I'm still trying to understand how oppressing homosexuals these days will result in more kids. They can move to a different part of Europe that's far more accepting....and this does what to increase population in russia?

9. Nocticula

Putin is the new Hitler. Hopefully the world as the one were living in today will react strong enough to stop this cancer from spreading!

10. Salazar

Very interesting.

11. UndercoverGypsy

Honestly, as awful as this whole thing is, he's not the new Hitler. Nowhere close. Firstly, Putin isn't aiming for world domination. Secondly, Putin isn't committing genocide - there haven't been any murders. Thirdly, Putin isn't putting these people in torture camps where he eventually gasses his victims. Lastly, the vast majority of the population of Russia know what's going on and are fine with it.

The whole situation is very awful, backwards and corrupt, but Putin is nowhere near as sick a bastard as Hitler was. Not close.

12. silkfrog1292

It is still too early to come to this conclusion, in my opinion.

The Russia I read today in the news reminds me of the final years of the Weimar Republic, just before Hitler came to power. At the time, just like now; most nations in Europe do not really see Germany as a threat, despite the increasing partisan conflicts that are erupting on the political front, and socially communists and Jews are facing attacks by Nazi gangs in increasing frequency and intensity.

Substitute Jews for LGBT individuals and communists for political dissidents and reformers, and you have modern day Russia. What makes this similarity more uncanny is that Hitler, back in 1933 legally changed the law to suspend the Parliament, making him the sole ruler of Germany. This legitimization of a de facto dictatorship is in the process of happening right now, in Russia with Putin changing the laws to give himself potentially unlimited terms as president.

While I agree with you that Russia does not have plans for world domination, they do have the ambition to reassert their control over Eastern Europe and North/Central Asia. The fact that unlike WW2, Western Europe is very much dependent on Russia for supplied of oil and natural gas only makes this situation even more precarious, for they have control of their lifeline.

Empires that are fading often resort to drastic actions to try and keep on to their power. Think of Great Britain during the Boer War or the French during their campaigns in Indochina following WW1. I am quite spooked as to what Russia is planning to cook up in the future.

#12 silkfrog1292, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  13. UndercoverGypsy

Fair enough, but my point is that at least for now, it's completely inappropriate to compare anyone to Hitler. As of now, no one has committed cultural crimes anywhere near that awful, and so it would be incorrect to compare. You can of course, though, compare the situation to that of just before or at the beginning of WW2, because it is undoubtedly reminiscent.

14. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope that the Russian Olympics take a huge hit, maybe that might help making them realize that the rest of the world has a problem with what they're doing.