1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay Essex dads to sue church over gay wedding ban

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

These guys are idiots, I am sorry but this is just going to give the anti gay rights lobby a "Told You So" moment, the CofE shouldn't be forced to marry people in a way they are all opposed to, it will just cause problems and the like.

I hate it when some people give the rest of us bad names

Gay Essex dads to sue church over gay wedding ban - PinkNews.co.uk

2. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Church of England is a state church; therefore the state has authority over it.

3. crickett

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Texas is a red state in the Bible belt. Extreme conservatism. Do you believe that Texas will ever grant domestic partners the right for eqality in marriage?Craig

4. Hun

Hun

What does Texas have to do with anything? This is in Essex.

5. Stripe101

I don't think we have the right to make religions change their views. They're primative, close-minded views, but they have the right to believe whatever they want. You're right, those guys are idiots.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err yeah...we're talking about England in this case :S

I understand people want to get married in the Church because of their religion. But I still think this is kind of stupid.

7. Ridiculous

I've never quite understood the motivation behind wanting to force churches to marry people. Even if you succeed they are going to be doing it begrudgingly and against their will - it doesn't sound like a very good environment to be officiating it in.

8. misunfortunate

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know what you mean with people from our community giving us a bad name. The church, while I don't agree with them, has a right to not opt in to do same-sex marriages. We should give them the same respect we expect from them.

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Anglican Church, while having a vote in the Lords, while being the state religion, must obey the law, if they want to maintain their position. Of course, their funds and contacts will provide the best lawyers England has to offer, so the suit will probably go to them.

10. LinkLarkin

It certainly seems like a futile fight but I admire the principle. People have to take a stand or minorities will never get anywhere, but these two should probably have chosen their battles more wisely.

Although you would think that a church that was created for no reason other than to easily end marriages would have less of a problem with starting them.

11. Hexagon

Interesting. I personally don't think the church of england should be allowed to refuse marriages while its an established church (and it shouldn't be). So... meh.

12. LinkLarkin

IKR? Especially since it's less than a month since the church's supreme governor signed the same sex marriage bill...

13. Incognito10

This is my sentiment as well. Even if you are religious and want to be married in the church you identify with, why would you want it to be because you forced them and why would you want it to be performed by a group or minister that looks down on you because you're gay? The tone and aura of the wedding would be completely ruined. A wedding should be a joyous occassion surrounded by love and kindness, not a preist begrudingly performing a wedding. As long as the gov't recognizes and grants equal marriage, I am happy.

However, I don't think it should be legal for religious business owners to refuse business to people based on sexual orientation. For example, in the US, I keep hearing about certain religious wedding designers refusing to perform services for same sex couples and that crosses the line in my mind because businesses couldn't get away with it for any other issue...a grocery store clerk owner wouldn't say, "You're gay, so I don't want the food on my shelves to be purchased and eaten by gay people." A bed and breakfast owner wouldn't ask a heterosexual couple if they're legally married before granting them to sleep in the same bed (a Christian principle) as a precept for service.

#13 Incognito10, Aug 5, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  14. ScatteredEarth

I have to agree with this completely. I don't think we should force a church into something they don't want to do. That doesn't make us any better.

15. Aldrick

This is what happens when you mix church and state, and why they must always be kept separate. The religious right always seems to believe that it's a one way street. Well, guess what Church of England? You've just got a bunch of state all up in your business. Have fun marrying gay people.

Maybe you should petition to separate yourself from the government instead... oh wait, you'd never do that, right? You love privilege and power way to much to ever give that up, it's better to compromise your beliefs instead.

16. LinkLarkin

"They don't want to do it" is not a good enough excuse. Imagine the uproar if a church refused to marry a black couple in this day and age. There can be no justification for the discrimination that the church are being enabled to throw around, and the CoE have no right to throw discrimination around in regards to modern marriage issues anyway when the entire foundation of their institution is the destruction of the sanctity and tradition of marriage.