1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News The nessecarity of Gay Pride

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Theatermama, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Theatermama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Amsterdam it was Gay pride weekend last weekend with lots of atention to LGBT around the world, espacialy Russia. In the Netherlands we hav come a long way, but everey year the discussion, even among gays in the Netherland is: is this still necessary.
    What do you think, are gay prides still necessary, or can the atention be harmfull to the cause? And why do you think what you think?

2. Dalmatian

Croatia is a long way away from what you could call accepting, so this probably doesn't apply to the question when you talk about Amsterdam.

Two years ago the first Pride in Split (2nd largest city in Croatia) was being organised. Prior to it there were many comments of all sorts, but an average person would usually comment that it's not needed, that being gay is not normal, that it's all perverted and disgusting. Then the Pride came and there was some stones throwing, one person was injured (not seriously). Immediately there was a swing in the popular opinion. The overwhelming comments suddenly became "who the hell has the right to throw things at people, whoever or whatever they are?!". These were the comments on Facebook, in papers, you could hear them on the streets.

So, I think Prides do great things in showing everyone that gays are around; they are not some notional threat, but people. That seems important.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If a pride parade is only for the narrow confines of a liberal gay-friendly society, then yes, it isn't necessary, but: we are not only for our own country, if we were to stop demonstrating our pride, rest assured that this will be used against our communities in other countries.

Our pride parades are there for the whole world to see and draw hope from in those places where being LGBT is still dangerous.

4. InsanityIsAwake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand why we have them, but clothes should be mandatory. No need to be half naked, regardless of how 'hot' you are or your sexual orientation.

5. kibeth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Aggreed! Also it helps to know that you are not allone and that you don't have to hide your feelings when first coming to terms with being gay.

6. Hexagon

I think:

a) People try to make us ashamed of our sexuality, so we have pride
    b) Its a fucking festival. Like a music festival or any other. There's nothing wrong with celebrating ourselves.
    c) Clothes are optional. I don't really care if a few religions disapprove of our dress code in pride. People are hot, get over it.

7. BornInTexas

:lol: I like that.

I watched a documentary and it asked people about the why gay pride was invented. It was formed to show people in places where they might not feel safe that LGBTQ people come in all shapes and sizes, and that they are nearly everywhere straight people are. It gives hope to people who feel like that they have none. That way they can have a role model if things are tough, and the person who has lost hope can work towards making things better for themselves.

I also guess if people saw it, they might want to look forward to going some day.

8. GayJay

Yeah like i only went to Liverpool pride the other day and there were people there with signs about it being legalized/accepted in other countries. So i think it's important for us to go for the support for other countries too.
    Plus it's such a good day. like you get to meet other people alike you and as it's been pointed out :') Liverpool had super heroes this year, so there was a lot of near naked guys
    Oh and noone has pointed out a good excuse to meet up with all your friends and get drunk

9. SecretlyASloth

I think Prides are extremely necessary, given the situation that lgbt people all around the world have faced.
    On the topic of optional clothing, I don't have an opinion though. I will admit though that I know people who have a perverted perception of gay people because of the often shirtless people. I'm not necessarily saying that's pride's fault or their's, just an observation.

10. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I honestly think it is necessary, it's about drawing awareness to things like laws that are against us, and discrimination. I have a sickening suspicion that if we stop, things will stop changing. As there is nobody pushing to get things changed anymore.

11. Jimi

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Living in California in the States, there's pride like in every city. And living in Los Angeles, there's always one in Hollywood. I have never felt obligated to go just because I am gay. I don't see the need for a pride parade. Sure if you're going to support a cause or hold up a sign because you want people to know about an organization, than sure. I just never felt the need to bang on drums and do jazz hands to let people know that I am gay and that I love it. I don't see how getting on a float and shaking your half naked ass supports our community. And that's what I always see on tv. People dancing in the street and wearing over-the-top makeup and costumes.

It's just not on my to-do list and I'd rather not go. To me, homosexuality is such a minute aspect of my being. It shouldn't even matter. I just want people to be like, Okay, you're gay, whatever, moving on. Not even a thought.

12. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell me, what exactly do Gay Pride Parades achieve?

Fairies prancing in glitter and dresses with their dickie birds and boobies flip flopping all over the place demanding respect?

I grew up in the city that has the second largest Pride Parade in the world, The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras, and in 31 years, never went to the Sexpo....err Mardis Gras Parade.

You want to be treated like everyone else...be yourself and don't shove your genitals in other peoples faces and call it a Pride Parade.

13. Nick07

LOL, our country has not a long Pride Parade history, and as we know media usually concentrate on the most shocking things.
    When I first saw a longer TV shot from abroad and saw not only the lead of the parade, but also all the people walking behind the half naked guys, I was like: But... they seem to be normal, what are they doing there? (yeah I was in denial of my own feelings, so it was they as opposite to me)

So... lol, I guess the idea of parades is not that bad, but if someone concentrates on the most visible and shocking parts of the parade they get a clear message that LGBT community is something very different and definitely not a place where they want to see their children.
    It would be nice to see the parades as one of many activities, so it would be clear to the straight audience that LGBT world is not just about walking on the street covered in glitter.

Such activities are usually a part of the pride (exhibits, theater, discussions etc) but it would be nice to have them visible to the straight people all year long.

14. Ridiculous

Even if there was absolutely no purpose to our pride parades, I would still want them. People having fun, coming together and celebrating being happy with yourselves... how can this be a bad thing? I can't understand (and don't want to understand) anyone who doesn't like this.

15. srslywtf

I disagree!
    The human form is completely natural, clothes were invented to keep people safe and warm, not to hide the body from sight. Clothing should be chosen for practical reasons, if necessary:eusa_danc

16. Theatermama

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  17. Nick07

Today, clothes are not just for keeping you warm and safe.

18. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly what it says: They give the message that being gay is actually not something to sneeze at, and that there are still many supporters that aren't LGBT. When you see a pride parade, you see how many people are there. Thousands. That's how many people are with us.

And even for those of us posting on EC, we still see how many people want to kill us because they think we're different. At a certain point, some of us start doubting if people really do support us. And that's what the pride parades are for.

That's not at all what pride parades are. Those people aren't the ONLY people there. If you go into the other pride parade threads, you'll find that most people are fully dressed in jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, whatever we normally wear.

There are people that crossdress and wear costumes, yes. They may not be helping politically, but they are helping through the main message that it's about being who you truly are and not being ashamed of it like so many people want us to be. And if the conservatives don't like it, they can stick it where the sun don't shine. Because that's what pride parades are. They're not LGBT parades. They're parades about being human and all the wonders that being human can bring. They're not just for LGBT people. Anybody's welcome to come and be who they are, much like this forum.

19. sammy1

I agree 100% i believe clothes should b mandetory...i personally dont want to go to a pride parade because there is too much nudity for me! And its true, how can we get respect and acceptance and b taken seriously when some people attend pride half naked?! Its not possible!

20. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally believe pride is needed. I don't think we're "flaunting it" because if others had to go through things some of us had to go through, they would want a pride event as well.