1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News It’s time to move the olympics

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dublin Boy, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why Russia Should Not Be Permitted To Host the 2014 Winter Olympics In Sochi, and Why They Should Instead Be Moved To Another Host City

[News article removed. Articles are not to be posted in their entirety.]

It's Time to Move the Olympics - Allegiance

2. justjade

My first thought when reading the title was, "Yes, let's move the Olympics. They've been on earth for far too long. Let's have the moon host this time." :lol:

But seriously, I think they should be moved, too. I say we should moved to Canada. Canada's pretty accepting of the LGBT community, right?

3. leer

I agree they should have given the venue of the Olympics more consideration and if the Olympic chiefs can change the venues they should . BTW George Takei the mans a legend
    on facebook if you get to follow him do so he`s hilarious.

4. Hexagon

Yeah, they shouldn't be there. Mind you, I've had a bit of a grudge against them since they accepted sponsorship from dow.

5. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love George Takei. :grin:

6. josh9623

I agree, I'm tired of watching the news and hearing them go back and forth between "Gays and Homosexual propagandists will be arrested at Sochi Olympics" and "Sochi Olympics will be safe for all"

7. Night

Night Guest

Yes. Unfortunately, however, Vancouver hosted the games last time.

8. LD579

How is that unfortunate?

9. Night

Night Guest

It's unfortunate because Canada can't host them two times in a row, if I remember the rules of the Olympics correctly. It'd be nice if they brought them back to Canada but as far as I'm aware a country isn't allowed to host two of the same season Olympics back-to-back - though I could be wrong.

10. LD579

I had no idea such a rule existed (But I'm not educated really on Olympics rules), though that would make sense. At the very least, there are other alternatives, I'd wager. It'll be intriguing to see this all play out.

11. InsanityIsAwake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lets move the Olympics anywhere else, seriously.. It's not safe even if they say it is. I wouldn't trust any of those Russians ATM..

12. Ridiculous

Am I the only one that thinks having the Olympics in Russia is a good thing?
    It's only going to reflect badly on them: either they enforce their laws (really bad idea as it will draw terrible publicity and will not end well), or they don't enforce their laws (shows they are weak).

I don't like the idea of just abandoning Russia; we should be trying to help their citizens, not just ignoring them.

13. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm torn on this one. I'm kinda leaning towards not moving them for Aldrick's reason as well as that there's quite the debate about where they should be moved TO. China wouldn't be a good place because they side with Russia. London would be fucking fantastic, but that's already been recent. I dunno about Canada, and nobody else is suitable. Maybe put them back into Salt Lake City, but I dunno if that would go against the rules, either. Chicago, Detroit and New York are all out of the question....

But at the same time, the thought that millions of deaths or putting so many people at risk would have any solace really irks me...

#13 Jinkies, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. Wells

Wells Guest

Pfft. Why? I ask why? Mind, winter olympics aren't really a time to wear rainbows and flash the fact you're gay about...

15. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^

In Russia:

1. It's illegal to be gay
    2. It's illegal to say you're gay
    3. It's illegal to have any sort of positive thought about being gay
    4. It's illegal to mention anything LGBT-related or something that MIGHT suggest it, unless it's negative.

The punishment for the above in Russia is being put in jail for 14 days and then deported, if you're not beaten and killed by the mass public first.

Russia is holding the Olympics this year, and there are athletes that are LGBT. If in the locker room, someone's dick so much as levitates half an inch, that could mean their death or their confinement and deportation, giving absolutely no chance of them reaching the dreams they've been chasing from a very young age.

At the same time, the whole WORLD now knows about the laws in Russia. If someone so much as whispers it in a negative tone JUST a bit too loud, it's the same thing for them.

It's not about waving rainbow flags in the middle of the track. It's about either:

1. Saving people from death with a certain slight whisper and others from undeserved and ridiculous punishment or
    2. making a change in a country that's been backwards for far too long.

#15 Jinkies, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  16. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was unsure at first, but now I'm completely behind this movement. Things need to change.

17. Hexagon

Because Russia needs to change. Both its laws, and I believe, the opinions of a majority of its citizens. There are obviously practical reasons for moving it, like the fact that LGBT people could be arrested and imprisoned, but the more important reasons, in my opinion, is that russia must be taught it can't get away with its behaviour, both on this issue, and on others, like its suppression of freedom of speech etc. How better to send that message than refusing to hold the olympics there?

18. Beware Of You

Takai is the only reason I am still on facebook .

I think he has a point, the olympics are about inclusion outside of racial, sexual orientation and religious boundaries, Russia is not doing that, therefore they don't have a right to hold the Olympics.

19. paperyostrich

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If they are moving, couldn't they put them back to Lillehammer in Norway?

20. 1Jake2

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, us Canadians are pretty welcoming and from what I've seen, ok with gay so there wouldn't be a problem with our citizens! We loved hosting the Vancouver games! As for the rule that says we can't host another Olympics, I think it can and should be overlooked if it were to save lives and unnecessary acts of hate and violence in Russia. So I'm for the relocation. I don't believe that any nation that is promoting hate should host the games.