1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Stephen Fry call on PM for Olympic boycott

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Beware Of You, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So this has happened

Stephen Fry warns David Cameron: Putin is making scapegoats of gay people, just as Hitler did Jews - PinkNews.co.uk

2. Zyanya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I love Stephen Fry.

Wonderfully written letter, let's hope they listen.

3. timo

A wonderful letter indeed. Here's hoping someone influential will listen.

4. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best outcome would be if the IOC banned Russia from competing in the Olympics, much the same way it banned South Africa for competing due to its apartheid policies from 1964 to 1992. The policies emanating from Russia are a blatant assault on individual rights in much the same manner. They are in violation of the Olympic Charter, which demands that all human beings should be allowed to compete in the sport--if they are capable.

The Olympics normally try to stay above politics. There are dozens of countries that have oppressive governments but still compete. The point of the Olympics is that it's a way we can all put aside our differences and show international solidarity. The Olympics only become involved in a country's politics if they systematically ban a demographic from competing, and that is what's happening here. Women are basically property in Saudi Arabia, but they're still allowed to compete on the Saudi team. Palestinians in Israel can still compete.

South Africa banned black competitors from its team though. Hence the hammer came down on them.

Russia, similarly, bans gay athletes from revealing their identities (doing so would cause them to be dropped from the team). This warrants banning Russia's team, I think.

If the IOC refuse to do so, and they refuse to allow athletes to make political statements regarding the disgusting laws emanating from Russia--like waving a rainbow flag or something to that effect, I think other countries have a responsibility to boycott the Olympics if that organization won't recognize the responsibilities of its own charter.

5. Matty1994

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Stephen Fry is one of my idols and it's because he does stuff like this, here's hoping that something will be done about this although it still doesn't help the poor LGBT population of Russia.

6. Ridiculous

I love Stephen Fry, and I recognise that if you disagree with him you are almost certainly wrong.
    But I do disagree, because I think much more will be achieved by having the Olympics in Russia and actively defying their anti-gay laws through Olympics-supported protest than would would be achieved by just leaving.

Changing venue isn't going to change their laws. It isn't going to do anything for their citizens. It's just going to further divide Russia and their ideals from the rest of the world.

7. AyaLou

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have a lot of respect for Stephen Fry; he is saying to people who can do something what so many people have wanted to say.

However, I agree with you, Ridiculous! Just changing the venue will do nothing. Very few people know of what is going on in Russia and if through Olympics supported protests people can learn of it and the UN or something can action against what is happening. Although, that is very dangerous for the protesters and it is probably best for them to just change the venue to avoid persecution of gay Russians and visitors.

Lets hope this letter will do some good!

8. 2112

I agree! It might be harder, but it would be more likely to actually help. Cancelling it or moving it somewhere else won't really change anything.

9. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol

Yes, changing the venues will not change their laws, but we are saying it is not safe for LGBT athletes and fans to attend the games. On top of that, the discrimination violates the Olympic's rules. I do personally think more could be done for the LGBT people in Russia itself, but the olympic commitee doesn't have much to do with that and I don't see an olympic underground rainbow-railroad starting up anytime soon unfortunately.

While more political motion may happen if we do allow things to go on, is that to say we risk some fans being beaten, arrested, and possibly killed? what about athletes? Some say Putin wouldn't dare to arrest the athletes, but other news sources say that they every intention to arrest ANYONE. Are we suddenly supposed to trust Putin? Theres a chance that citizens from multiple countries will be in some form of danger and we are just going to allow it?

I think the risks I stated above are reason enough for people to want to move/cancel the games.

If we could allow the games, and have a high high majority (like 98%) of athletes NOT show any "homosexual propaganda" and the olympics just be like "shame shame Russia!" then maybe it could work. But its still basically ignoring the fact that the laws violate the rules of the Olympics, which isn't exactly fair is it?

As for civillians, I think mass #s have to be arrested, or high profile cases of small groups. If like 10 or so people are arrested for blatantly wearing LGBT flags and t-shirts and what not, the government may or may not care to make any sort of political statement about it other than condone it. If people show up in mass in defiance (like Aldrick suggested sometime back) than it could definitely make a difference.

I can't remember who said it, but at least 1 olympic athlete says he plans to fly his freedom flag as high as he can and not be ashamed of himself.

I think at the least, moving the games/canceling them will show Putin (and the world) that we don't have to put up with his insane ideals and blatantly offensive laws. If we just accept them, it gives positive reinforcement to his cause. Russian homophobes might justify it to themselves that "hey, they knew we had the laws, but they still came" - saying that as all the reason to abuse laws and what not. This is going to sound offensive, but I honestly believe it to be true. Police can and will sometimes abuse their powers. In times like these where the laws are so controversial that the bias is personal and in the hearts of many people in power and some civillians, abuse of power runs rampant. Look @ Nazi Germany. People made many wrong, unlawful excuses to arrest/kill people. While I don't think killing LGBT people (or better, SUSPECTED LGBT people) is going to be rampant in Russia, these laws, combined the masses of people that may or may not come running to Russia for 2014 are sure to rile up police, thugs, neo-nazis, bullies in school, everyone with hatred and their hearts and the will to act on it.

In regards to people that think "the olympians worked so hard for it, its not fair to cancel" I think moving it, while hard to do (not impossible mind you, just very very very tough) is the best solution.

If it were to be cancel, I would have to think. I'll get to compete in some years down the future if I work hard and keep things up. I'd rather be safe and get to enjoy the olympics than be boggled down by political arguments between nations, social stigma, glaring looks of civillians, potential violence to myself/team mates/friends, arrests, and all of the other drama that will come along.

I guess its just my train of thought, but if its safer to cancel, I'd rather be safe than fair.
    I'd almost venture to say its selfish to think your personal Possible winning of awards is more important than protecting the livelihood/ "possible" lives of several people. Even just 1... I wouldn't want 1 single olympian or fan, or innocent bystander (like straight people/olympians who just appear gay) to be beaten to death or arrested and abused and tortured just so people can win awards and recognition. It's naive to hope that all will turn out right and we can save everyone's feelings and personal safety in my mind. I know realistically one's going to have to be sacrificed at this rate, whether or not the games take place in Sochi, are moved to vancouver or elsewhere, or flat out canceled.

Wow, this was a long post :slight_smile:

Hope I didn't offend anyone... (&&&)

10. I love this letter! Like Stephen Fry, I am also a gay Jew, and what is happening in Russia hits close to home and sounds like what happened in Germany shortly before the Holocaust began. While I am against the Olympics being cancelled, they should certainly be moved.

11. East

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Stephen Fry's letter and I am glad he wrote it. I will not be watching the Olympics this year...first time in my life as I LOVE them and keep the TV on 24/7 whenever they are on. I cannot enjoy these Olympics however...not a chance.

Vancouver offered to host them...I would let them.

12. Emberstone

frankly, I agree with George Takai, who is also advocating giving the 2014 winter games to vancouver. they have the infestructure.

that would, in my opinion, send the strongest message.