1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Russia Confirms Anti-Gay Law Will Be Enforced at Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sarcastic Luck, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Sarcastic Luck

Russia Confirms Anti-Gay Law Will Be Enforced at Olympics | Russia | RIA Novosti

2. Hexagon

Good.

This may seem odd. Let me explain. If the IOC were convinced no athletes or tourists were going to be arrested, then the games would go ahead, and nothing would change. That isn't what I want. So what, a few tourists get to take rainbow flags. What I want is for russia to change. And russia is going to change because things like the olympics are used as weapons.

3. Munyal

The Olympics are a symbol of worldwide peace and cooperation, and if Russia breaks that peace, they are going to have a remarkable amount of angry people. I still think the olympics should just be moved to a nearby country (like Italy or Austria, who have hosted before.)

4. Minamimoto_Fan

I sorta agree with Hex. If the Russians stopped enforcing their little law, it would distract the general public's focus from what they're doing for a time and said focus would shift towards the Olympics. This way, if some foreigner gets arrested, treated badly, or worse it'll be on Russia's head, and not the IOC.

5. It may suck to say this, but I hope Russia breaks the peace and this is brought to the forefront. More people need to know what is going on and actively try to stop it, especially if other countries condemn Russia and isolate it even more than it already is. However, I definitely do not want anyone to be hurt.

6. LinkLarkin

I am so, so glad to hear this. In a messed up sort of way. Is this possibly what's needed to make the IOC realise how reckless they're being? Probably not, but at least it will draw some negative attention to both them and Russia. I'm almost tempted to go over there now dressed in the brightest rainbow clothing I can find and see what happens.

7. blueberrymuffin

They said this in 1936 too and what followed? It's been nothing but corporate henchmen for a long time, which is why they won't be moving it, and i'll probably boycott their sponsors. Only way to make any meaningful change sadly.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  9. MerBear

so? they can't get russia to stop. it wont stop the torture. the law or the beliefs. it will have little to no effect at all. people will still live in russia, people will still visit russia, people will still use products from there. it won't do anything. They can't exactly punish russia because foreigners are in THERE country now so what they do to the foreigners is legal as long as they are in russia.

when you step in a foreign country, your suppose to comply with the law. They have the right to arrest you for whatever reason they want to (as long as they break the law) BECAUSE you are in THEIR country now

10. Gen

Gen

I believe they were speaking towards the situation causing much more upset from the rest of the world if Russia begins picking off LGBTQ at the event.

Regardless, this will sure be.......interesting. Olympic events are the only sporting competitions/events that I enjoy watching so I would have tuned in anyway; but I'm definitely keeping up with the news feeds on this.

11. Joanne

*facepalm*

12. Minamimoto_Fan

I am well aware of this.

However, if there are a bunch of arrests, there will be a huge outrage, kinda like that woman getting locked up abroad because she reported her rape and ended up in jail. Said arrest resulted in a huge outrage and Sweden. Unfortunately, I don't know much more to this story since I can't remember the poor woman's name.

It's disgusting what Russia is doing, it will most likely take something like foreign arrests over this law to get the international community to act. There are already movements to fight for the LGBTQ community already, but I fear, unfortunately, that the only way that anything can get done is if there are arrests over protests of their anti-gay propaganda laws.

Do forgive me if I'm not very savvy about some international law, but I want to reiterate that I know that you must adhere to a foreign country's laws. I am just frustrated by the law is all, I just feel dumb for not making my thoughts upon the matter more clear in my initial post...

13. Phantosmiac

I am really quite concerned that Putin is following a path that Hitler forged. It started as comparatively small reductions of rights, and turned into something much much worse. And I'm also worried that the world might sit back an watch until its too late.