1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Florida sinkhole swallows parts of resort near Disney World

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BradThePug, Aug 13, 2013.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    More here

These peoples vacations sank to new levels... that would totally suck. I'm glad that people made it out.

2. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Wtf??? That's weird

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Oh man. I used to live in Florida. Parents worked for Walt Disney World. Glad everyone was evacuated out, sink holes are the inevitable bitch factoring in the water table.

4. George

Uh oh, this gives me one more reason to be scared about living here. What if I get swallowed by the earth!? :frowning2:

In all seriousness though, I'm glad everyone made it out. These things can be very dangerous and they have taken many unsuspecting lives in the past.

5. josh9623

I have heard of people waking up in the morning, going to the kitchen, hearing a loud crash only to find that their bed (along with most of their room) just fell 50-75 into a sinkhole that wasn't there the night before.

6. Wells

Wells Guest

Them 35 people are very lucky. That's all I can say.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Florida is an impending environmental disaster: Very overpopulated, falling water table, very polluted rivers, rising sea levels...I think we'll see a lot more sink-holes as the water table falls, and a lot more problems as access to fresh water declines, and sea levels rise.

My folks go there in the winter, but I've never been...I'm afraid to drive though those states between here and there, and too cheap to fly!

Nonetheless, good nobody was hurt.

8. Stripe101

When you wish upon a star, the sinkhole will spread real far...

9. josh9623

As far as population it depends on where you are in the state.

Falling water tables? where? The water table throughout the state is very high, one of the reasons we have the canal systems is for drainage because (at least where I am) the water table is maybe five to ten foot down in the dry season. (most places actually pump the water table down before big storms)

River pollution. As far as salt water rivers, where I am it is due to an excess of fresh water being dumped into a salt water environment. We are dumping so much fresh water that the tide cannot come in to replenish the salt content and kill harmful organisms. St. Lucie River causing health hazard | Treasure Coast News - WPBF Home

Rising sea levels, has not really been the issue so much as erosion. the weather usually takes sand then brings it back, but it hasn't been bringing it back.